Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Is "fps" e-sports changing its ways?
Portugal MafsCB 
So ever since the early 2000's when e-sports and multiplayer competitive gaming was becoming a thing to now we were used to seeing small tatical maps first person camera and not much more to it in the past couple of years we are seeing a huge blow up in the battle royal and open world genre over all h1z1 was a big contender to be the first battleroyal e-sports title, and lets be honest the game sucked compared to a well developed e-sports title like League, cs go etc, the insane ammount of bugs ruined it then there was pubg wich was very popular but not e-sports material at all but now we got Fortnite wich is super well optimized, great shoting, building mechanics making it possible for there to be a huge skill gap one of the biggest i've seen in any shooting game, its fun and in top of all that its free i think there is a very decent chance that in the next years 2019-2022 battle royal e-sports becomes a big thing and it starts with fortnite, i've been playing cs since 2000~ so im kinda scared about changing genre but cs is losing popularity, i cant remember the last update or anything Valve put out that i was excited about , and if we need to change i feel like fortnite and other better battle royal games that come out in the future are the best option what are your toughts on this topic?
2018-02-19 15:12
lold at cs losing popularity. didnt read whole thing btw
2018-02-19 15:15
i dont mean now, now the game is still popular, in the future if it keeps this day it will
2018-02-19 19:29
 | 
Other 1Faren 
its not like the game has been here since 1999 and is bigger than ever
2018-02-19 19:50
cs go has the same numbers that it had years ago(700k peak), meanwhile fortnite has been peaking at 3500k players, is cs go losing popularity yes!! are the numbers decreasing? no more people are gaming each day, and cs go numbers are stable no increasing, mean while other games are increasing insanely high 2-4x higher than cs's peak, wich means it is losing popularity already, but later on i believe it will start droping numbers unless there is a big change or something exciting about it
2018-02-19 19:53
 | 
Other 1Faren 
You say the numbers are stagnant, then u say its decreasing, then stagnant again. If u want to stop playing go ahead, stats speak for themselves, and the game is on a good path and in a good spot. Just like anything else ofc it will die out if nothing happens but thats obvious isnt it
2018-02-19 19:57
i said they are stagnant but will eventualy start decreasing, i really love cs go, i wont stop playing it until a new version comes out, but i do think there is actually some threaths that might overtake it if valve doesnt make a move
2018-02-19 20:01
The problem with BR games is that they are hard to follow as an spectator, and therefor will never be as big as CS, when it comes to E-Sports. They might be played by more players than CS, but as an E-Sport it will never get near what CS have done.
2018-02-19 20:17
i disagree i feel like BR games are so much more entertaining to watch, and i can imagine a good e-sports event camera angles and all yeah cs is probably the fps with the most achievements
2018-02-19 20:21
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, since i find it boring to look at. Also the spectator UI in those kind of games are so shit.
2018-02-19 20:24
yeah not everyone has the same tastes, i just really crushed on how agressive and skill oriented the game is, yeah the spec isnt good at all, but that should be easy to work on if they chose to make it an e-sports title
2018-02-19 21:48
 | 
India Very_Nice_Guy 
rainbow 6 will kill cs go yes I'm ready to get downvoted
2018-02-19 15:17
nah rainbow steped big being able to make their game into the e-scene but im pretty sure they cant competeve with BR games if they go e-sports specially fortnite
2018-02-19 19:27
 | 
Czech Republic ez_4_prodka 
br games arent esports.
2018-02-19 19:30
Lel, ofcourse they are, they just need to be consistent, competitive, have a huge skill gap in them and something that people want to watch why wouldnt they be e-sports?
2018-02-19 19:33
 | 
dont know how rng games can be competitive
2018-02-19 19:33
lel cs go was RNG for the longest time, only in cs go we had spray patterns before it was like 10x more rng than fortnite
2018-02-19 19:38
 | 
and br games dont rly have high skill cap
2018-02-19 19:34
fortnite actually has a higher skill gap than cs go, because of crisp building hability you can be in denial but building takes as much skill as shoting and there oyu have 2 major skills that make the game have a much wider skill gap, a insane shooter like shroud will still be shit compared to an insane shoter and builder
2018-02-19 19:37
 | 
i havent rly played fornite that much so idk if its skill cap is high or no =D
 | 
but i meant br games in general
yeah i definitly agree that previous BR games like pubg h1z1 dayz, are not e-sports abble, but that what changed about fortnite, i've been playing pc for 18 years mostly at high level and i know a competitive game when i see one and this game right of launch is insanely good e-sports BR and i never ever had put a game to the same level of cs
2018-02-19 19:41
 | 
+1
2018-02-19 19:44
MAKKU | 
Faroe Islands memento_1 
a shitty game 12 for years old kids to put down legendary cs ?
2018-02-19 15:18
no game puts down cs, its slowly dying by it self, but the best game right now to replace it is fortnite
2018-02-19 19:26
 | 
United States 4PP135 
as for as esports is concerned i think Overwatch is cs's biggest competitor in FPS. I don't like Overwatch but that is the truth
2018-02-19 19:41
if you go for the literal meaning yes First person shooter is overwatch, but if we are talking about a e-sports shooter troughout all genres i think fortnite has the potential to become that the game has 3.400.000 people on at the same time a few days ago, thats like 4x more than counter strike go ever had according to steam charts, its just insane, but its all a consequence of a beautifully built game thats free
2018-02-19 19:44
game. is. bad.
2018-02-19 19:46
im not discussing with someone who doesnt aprecciate gaming,and is just a fanboy i've been playing cs probably longer than 99.9% of people on hltv i've also played to a higher level than 99% of them, i agree that its the most significant game i've ever played, but i know how to spot a god-tier game when i see one, and fortnite is just that
2018-02-19 19:51
i appreciate good games and works of art. fortnite is a piece of shit newfag game ive been playing cs since its release. im 30 i know a good game and fornite is not god-tier LMFAO get out kid . clearly u are a noob
2018-02-19 19:54
you clearly dont, you just spit out preference, im talking actual parameters, and fortnite has them all, crisp skill directed shooting and building, plus fun from battleroyal mode im a noob? ahaha dude sponsored cs source, GE 60 wins after not playing cs in 2 years, 1 month lvl 8 faceit, royalty 1 h1z1 5kd, lastman standing top 50 world, top PT Metin2 player, first month in league Plat 3
2018-02-19 20:00
fornite has nothing. no parameters. has nothing to do with preference the game is shallow trash i was in the ranked #3 socom clan in the world on socombattles which has now changed their name to gamebattles which im sure u know about. idc about ur nub achievements just like u dont care about mine. im just showing u how dumb it looks to list ur achievements. if u think fornite is good u are a noob regardless of what u have accomplished clearly u have no taste because cs source was shit and h1z1 is bad.
2018-02-19 20:03
cs source was indeed shit, and h1z1 was bad but i knew that even when i played those games, same way i realise how good of a game fortnite is no parameters? its pretty straightforward linear gameplay, you have tons of outplay possibilities due to building, wich also brings a higher skill gap to the tabble, as for shooting mechanics they arent perfect but much better than most BR games, and better than cs1.6 and cs source for sure, the game is a beautiful mix of high mobilty fast passed shooting, strategy and mindgames wich make it a great e-sports tittle if they chose it too
2018-02-19 20:08
its not dying there is more people playing cs than in the late 90s and early 2000s. not to mention all the money that is involved nowadays too. sry mr portugal u live under a rock
2018-02-19 19:46
i didnt want to destroy you but, mr america have you considered that each time there is much computers and people gaming, when i started gaming it was RARE i was one of the few kids who had a computer(99/2000), now its rare to find a kind that doesnt have a smartphone let alone a computer if you want to talk numbers cs go has the same numbers that it had years ago(700k peak), meanwhile fortnite has been peaking at 3500k players, is cs go losing popularity yes!! is the numbers decreasing? no
2018-02-19 19:49
I know it was rare in the 90s and now it isnt? so thats a good thing way to destroy yourself with ur dumb reply. who cares about player count. fortnight has no money it, its a joke game and if any one plays it as an esport they are a joke. 3500k NOOBS who gives a fuck. cs is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fortnight is just some nub game that people will forget about in a few years
2018-02-19 19:53
how is gaming rare now? like in a class of 25 kids 10 of them play pc, back in the day's out of 25 only 1 or not even that lol who cares about count? your trolling by this point, count means people are realising how good of a game it is cs is $$ ahahah dude with 3.5million people already if they launch a decent e-sports platform will see higher numbers on tournaments that cs ever presented and i do agree that cs will remain for ever more relevant than fortnite, doesnt mean it cant be overtaken by it
2018-02-19 19:56
are u baiting? u said it was rare then and is now common. i agreed with that. just shows how dumb u are. player count never shows how good a game is. there are plenty of gems no one knows about. >Epic games >Decent competitive platform pick one. lul at gears of war joke as well. so what if it overtakes cs, its still a shitty game. popularity is never an indicator of success or quality in anything in life not just video games. not responding to ur obv bait anymore
2018-02-19 20:00
Unreal engine! yeah sure because the most played games are shit right? you are probably one of those guys that says that league is a game for fags and is shit, doenst understand how insanely well made the game is you can be a hater but the game wont stop being superb as for me ill keep playing cs go and fortnite and probably play pubg and every other decent game out there and rekt guys like you who :)
2018-02-19 20:04
yes LoL the number one online game is absolute shit. the game is horrible and is a ripoff of dota. nt. its not superb. epic games made unreal tournament their only good game 20 years ago and have been bombing release after release ever since regardless of the popularity and cash they rake in. have fun playing ur trash game it will never be "Superb" LOLOLOLOLOL
2018-02-19 20:07
okay now i realise what you are, saying league is horrible ahah k mate cya
2018-02-19 20:08
it is trash. anyone with half a brain knows that
2018-02-19 20:10
when someone says league is trash i automaticly know their not smart not worth discussing, cya mate
2018-02-19 20:12
when somone thinks league is a good game they are clearly a moron
2018-02-19 20:13
yeah sure, your right
2018-02-19 20:14
> Fortnite > Shooting mechanics Choose one.
2018-02-19 15:19
fortnite is pretty good in all aspects and aiming is one of them very rewarding raw aim wise
2018-02-19 19:24
 | 
France LanaRhoades 
in france we have lans with fortnite (from 16 to 18 february (last week end)) a lan of fortnite have generated 150 k viewers with all streams on twitch and with gotaga making more than 100k viewers
2018-02-19 19:36
 | 
Croatia feelsbadmane 
Imo its even better that they dont update the game that much i cba relearning stuff all over again,thats why for example league of legends lost alot of players like me,because its rly frustrating getting good at something then re learning it again and again and again by reworking the champion or putting new items and stuff.
2018-02-19 19:29
 | 
Mongolia Chuluun 
''in the past couple of years we are seeing a huge blow up in the battle royal and open world genre over all'' Maybe so but not in anyways linked with esports, PUBG esports is dead as far as I can tell, H1Z1? LUL. Fortnite has no chance as have the others, it already is dying and is viewed quite negatively with a lot of big streamers and this is important as big streamers help push a game a lot, for example PUBG. CSGO is fine, the last major had plenty of viewers and broke records yet again, if anything all the game needs is a fresh face, and if Valve does add panorama UI, that could be the face-lift it needs.
2018-02-19 19:31
fortnite 3.500.000 players just a few days ago 4x higher than cs ever was, most streamers were not asked to play fortnite unlike the other BR's most of them just tried it out and liked it better than pubg, so stick to it yes cs go is great but as you said it seriously needs something new and the big difference beetween pubg,h1z1 and fortnite is that h1z1 and pub were realistic battleroyals with tons of bugs, low fps, small skill gap fortnite is a e-sports tittle type, super high fps, huge skill gap, barely any bugs for its current state
2018-02-19 20:12
 | 
Mongolia Chuluun 
Game has early hype, will die as history repeats itself, CS has stood the test of time and will continue to do so, it isnt going anywhere, it might of stagnated but again it still breaks records in viewers and a face change is a quick fix that can give it more longevity. Fortnite is not an esports type, same way as with other Battle Royals before it. It's the fundamentals of the genre of game that will never make it be viable, not the game itself.
2018-02-19 20:23
i agree with you in almost everything besides that fortnite isnt an e-sport title, just try it out and then comeback here, i didnt like the cartony graphics at all, but i gave it a try and even on 20 fps 200 ping, no sound the game in super fun by miles the closest we've ever seen to a BR e-sports and battleroyal isnt anti competitive at all i dont know why you would think that, if anything its like the pinacle of competitive gaming where it isnt only 2 teams or 10 players but dozens of teams and hundreds of players at the same time, i can see a lan where there would be like a 5 game elimination and depending on the position a squad places each time they get an ammount of points for it, after those 5 games the top 10 squads go trough to a 3 game elimination until there is just 3-5 squads playing a few games to see who ranks the highest
2018-02-19 21:46
 | 
Germany Cyasera 
It has to happen a lot for a battle royal game to be a viable esport. Just the randomness in those games is maybe already enough for it never being a good esport.
yeah thats whats different about this one, i watched it on twitch didnt really like its cartony style etc, played it loved it, its a mix of a competitive game iwth fun br games
2018-02-19 20:14
fps > newfag nub royale fad
2018-02-19 19:43
It's possible in future that some battle royal style game will be big e-sports game. What we have now don't have that potential. I can list you some things in battle royal games what we now have that are not good for competetive gaming: In game: - Objective to just survive to last alive. Getting kills doesn't reward you how it should. - Random weapon spawns. Does not matter how good of a player you are if you get unlucky in start and you won't get a weapon and noob next to you did. - Random loot drops. You don't benefit enough for map knowledge. If the drops would be always on same time and place it would be way better. Like quad or invu in quake. You could plan and time your attack there. - Safe zone is random... Just luck where you drop in start - As you see everything is just too random for competive game. It's obviously the style these games are made. Every one has to have a chance to win, no matter how noob you are. Obviously your odds to win gets higher if you are very good at the game but still everyone has a chance. Tournament wise: - Amount of players in one game. Very hard to organize a lan tournament for 100 concurrent player. - Spectating a live tournament would be very hard. Especially first, lets say 90 kills. After that it would probably work ok. - Spectating overall. Is it entertaining to watch in a long run? - Technical problems in 100 player lan game. Very hard to make it fair for everyone. What if someone gets bsod? Will the game be restarted every time? Or paused for 5mins every time something happens. Does the games even have the option to get back after disconnect? I see why many casual players like to play these games. They are very stress free since so much is up to random factors. You can always just blame for bad luck or whatever. I have played maybe 10 fortnite games and I happened to win my first match. Half the game I rebinded my buttons but somehow survived to last 3 alive. Then I found a sniper and got 2 kills. I thought that was ridiculous. Were I the best player in the server since I won? In next game only I figured you can build stuff...
2018-02-19 20:55
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.