Wtf is that ranking? LUL
- Natal is the 4th most violent city IN THE WORLD, with a whopping 102,56 homicides per 100.000 people. ( bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-43309946
- Recife also appears in that ranking, but in the 23rd position, with "only" 54,96 as its homicide rating.
- São Paulo doesn't appear in the ranking but only because of its huge population. But don't let that fool you into thinking São Paulo is a safe haven, it's not. It's a very crowded and busy city, with homicide rating of 32,6. Definitely not a top place for tourism in Brazil.
- Florianópolis also doesn't appear in that ranking, and might actually be a little bit safer than those other four cities you put in there. This might also in fact be the only thing you got right on that list. Definitely the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, outside of Northeast, are in Santa Catarina, and Florianópolis, being an island, has got some breathtakingly beautiful beaches, such as Canasvieiras, Barra da Lagoa, Ponta das Canas and etc. But be advised, there's a huge favela right on the city entrance. Of course the highway doesn't go through it but it's not a very eye-pleasing sight to see right as you enter the city.
- Rio de Janeiro is the first city foreigners think of when they think of Brazil, and rightfully so, it's a very beautiful city to visit, but there are some nasty no-go zones there, so you might wanna watch your step there. And it also doesn't figure in that ranking that Natal and Recife do so that's bonus points for it, I guess.
When talking about best cities to visit in Brazil, I think you should go away from the big cities, as Brazil is very closed country when it comes to tourists, since it's not used to seeing many of them through the year, sadly, because the potential is there, we just don't know how to explore. We could easily make tourism our economical flagship, but no one has ever done a good job on that department (of course in order to attract tourists you need to fix a lot of other sectors of society such as public security, health care and etc).
In my opinion, best cities to visit in Brazil (in no particular order) are:
- Bonito (MS)
- Gramado (RS)
- Teresópolis (RJ)
- Ouro Preto (MG)
- Cambará do Sul (RS)
- Lençóis Maranhenses (MA) - this is a national park, with its territory spread across three cities
So there you go, FTFY