Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Explain copyright
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
Working on a game. I'm stuck with soundeffect. I have read some stuff, but i still have some question. (this game will be commercial). Can you use sound effect in other game/mod for example counter strike sounds in cstrike/sound? Can you cut a clip of a movie for example sound of explosion and use it? If you edit the pitch or part of the sound does copyright still apply. I an just a college student so, i will try to spend as little as possible. If you have a great website that offers a great price or a tip on how to make ypur own sound effect please let me know. Will appriciate any help, ty
2019-01-18 13:58
 | 
Europe pencilvester 
Cant help im sorry
2019-01-18 14:00
Try this = freesound.org Free, non-copyrighted soundeffects. As for sound effects from other games you'll need to dig up something from their websites explaining the rules of using their material(some are fine with it, some are not). If you need a specific sound from an instrument or such, i can produce that, PM me if needed.
2019-01-18 14:02
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
Thank you. As for now, i own a keyboard for the music. But will do if i need one.
2019-01-18 14:22
 | 
Romania Anonym20 
i guess it would be almost impossible to copyright for example HE explosion from counter strike if you modify the pitch of the explosion sound and so on.
2019-01-18 14:02
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
That's what i'm thinking, anyway thx
2019-01-18 14:19
all sound in CS is copyrighted to valve and if you use that sound as a base file and change it, if anyone finds out, that is grounds for a lawsuit.
2019-01-18 14:23
the copyright system is quite simple: if you are a big corporation, and anyone uses anything you ever made, even a small clip or sample for only a few seconds, you can sue the shit out of people. if you are a small developer, you can only get fucked. do not use any copyrighted material or they will claim all your profits. and dont forget to copyright everything you make yourself, creative commons licenses are pretty affordable or even free.
2019-01-18 14:22
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
The thing is, there are sounds that are pretty hard to make. And sometimes the sound isn't available such as spesific gun sounds. Any idea how to bypass these maybe a synth or something.
2019-01-18 16:14
for example in the Unity engine marketplace im pretty sure you could buy some grenade models, maybe also sound effects. you can look up videos online of how to manipulate sound or pay a sound designer, and maybe you can get some grenade explosion sound from old war footage that is now in the public domain?
2019-01-18 16:17
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
Thanks man, im going to try to find some old war footage ty
2019-01-18 16:21
No idea on how to make specific sounds, but do not get tempted to use something that is copyrighted just because getting a sound is hard - that is no valid excuse and in fact there is even a risk the copyright holder will go to greater lengths to defend a hard to make sound (since it is likely they also invested more in making it). On gun sounds I have an suggestions - if you look on youtube there is a chance you might find some gun enthusiast that has made a video on a specific gun which has a sound you could use. If you ask nicely then you might be allowed to use their recording. No gurantee, but I could imagine had I made a video of that type, then someone asking to use a sound bit would be fine and would get a kick out of it.
2019-01-18 16:23
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
I uderstand that it's not easy to make a high quality sound effect. But as for now, there is no such tool to make a sound effect without a base sound. That's why i ask about copyright because i don't fully understand it. I don't want to have any problem. Thanks for your suggestion by the way.
2019-01-18 16:50
so Copyright applies to "ONLY Copyrighted" Sounds, so if there are Sounds which are "NOT Copyrighted" from any Game or whatso ever you can use it, otherfise you can "Change the Pitch" and Copyright "WONT" apply anymore (im Coding a Game myself actualy my 2nd one right now) , but you cant just change a small pitch of it, you need to change around 40% if not, there are intelligent KI´s which will find out, BUT if you for example use an Copyrighted File , lets say a Picture or Music or whatever, you will get a Message to Remove it ASAP from your Game which means you got 1-2Days for it "MAX" or you will get fucked x), same with 3D Models or Copyrighted "NAMES" whcih also exist, you can change it and Copyright wont Apply but you have at least to change "Enough". goddamn my english suck, sry for that #Edit - Videos you can USE withouth gettin Fuckt up to 14,379seconds
2019-01-18 14:23
No, No and no. Taking something and changing it is still taking something. And just because every single bit of a creative work isn't marked copyright, that doesn't mean it won't be covered.
2019-01-18 16:26
he means if you change it enough there is a point where the algorithms wont detect enough similarity to copystrike you you might technically still break copyright but no one will find out and sue you, but then technically after a couple years of no one noticing the violation, it is no longer a violation
2019-01-18 16:29
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
How about fair use though. I have read here airbornesound.com/2012/07/24/sound-effec.. In projects allowed section, fair use allow you to use a sound effect if it blends with and instrument or dialog. Does that mean copystriking these things abuse copyright?
2019-01-18 16:54
wtf is 14,379 seconds
2019-01-18 16:27
s1mple | 
Brazil Namikawa 
The whole concept of "copyright" is totally BULL, i wish you had all the right to make things the way you wanted, you have that right. Sorry for not helping with your issue, i just got a little bit mad.
2019-01-18 14:27
allu | 
Indonesia KAKKIKU 
The thing is making sound by yourself is almost impossible. It's not like drawing sprites where you can easily make.
2019-01-18 16:23
 | 
Europe HyperCreep 
why u didnt ask about it valve?
2019-01-18 14:29
bump
2019-01-18 16:54
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.