Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Climate change
 | 
France TheArchitect 
As I answered a super long message, that might not be the easiest to read, on the "Is climate change fake ?" topic. I repost it here and I'd be glad to answer questions and discuss it with you pals. As an urban designer and planner specialized in cities adaptation and mitigation to climate change, I met a lot of climate scientists, meteorologists, cities historians, ... and yes I can tell you, climate change is super real and you can already feel its effects in many places around the world and probably even in your homecity. Climate change is a natural global process of our planet. BUT, human activities have accelerated at super fast pace since industrial revolution. The main reasons are fossil fuel consumption and greenhouse gases emissions combined with the reduction of green lands, forest, wild lands, capable of absorb the surplus of greenhouse gases, reduce the sun impact and balance the climate. The main effect is the global increase of temperature around the world and the higher frequency of temperature anomalies. Also, extreme weather conditions are more and more frequents (keep in mind that super low temperature can be one of these unexpected extreme weather condition resulting of the climate change). The main impact of climate change is of course the massive loss of biodiversity which is concerning because we might not be able to find a way to replace the positive externalities from the biodiversity such as pollination, soil fertility, etc ... Also the global warmin leads to the North pole ice melting and the rise of the oceans. We already have some places highly damaged by the ocean rising and it cost billions to reinforce the coast line or even in some cases move entire cities hundreds of meters back (like the city of Capbreton in France, planning such project). Currently I'm working in Venice (Italy) because as you may guess, the city is highly vulnerable to climate change and the rise of the oceans. Actually if nothing is done Venice will vanish quite fast. But even far from the oceans climate change is already modifying our lives and cost us shittons of money. It's affecting almost every aspect of human activities such as : - Agriculture (soil less and less fertile, also and mainly because of intensive agriculture but climate change doesn't help) - Migrations (Already more than 50 million of people moved away from their region because of climate change, we expect at least 250 million climate migrant by 2030). - Energy - Health And of course economy (if you find your taxes already expensive wait a few years and the cost of climate change on society will skyrocket) But don't expect some catastrophic scenario like in hollywood movies, it's going step by step, that's why now we're putting as much effort in adaptation to climate change than in mitigation. But if we don't do more efforts in mitigation soon, because some don't believe in it or find it too expensive, too heavy for the economy or the taxpayers, in the end it's going to cost wayyyy more than it should. The more we wait, the hard the crash will be. And if nothing efficient is done we might see some Mad Max scenario going on in a few centuries.
2019-01-22 00:46
United States koth 
K
2019-01-22 00:47
na flag
2019-01-22 00:59
United States koth 
Uhh not sure if you know na is a continent not just the usa.
2019-01-22 01:01
thank you, I wanted to say USA flag but na is quicker
2019-01-22 01:03
United States koth 
1 letter is faster to type by probably .01 seconds since the sa in usa are next to each other.
2019-01-22 01:34
still faster
2019-01-22 01:38
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Typical italian here :D I love the style. Everything's good to save some efforts
2019-01-22 01:41
<3 I wish Italy had yellow vests, we are too lazy
2019-01-22 01:43
 | 
United States Sora12359 
you didn't have to do it to him like that lol
United States koth 
Had to.
2019-01-22 01:32
Ctrl + S so I can read the bible whenever I want, thanks.
2019-01-22 00:47
Finally someone intelligent on hltv thank you
2019-01-22 00:50
 | 
Denmark Lil187 
Æbæcæ
2019-01-22 00:51
Cute but wrong, for example the melting of North pole ice does not raise the water level even by one millimeter. Most of your statements are false propaganda that I cba go through now. Depending where you live, the tide might be for example 1200mm in height difference. Water level yearly increase has been measured at 3mm (which is doubtful). This means in a 100 years the waterlevel has increased by 30cm, which gives you plenty of time to move your house 100m from the beach.
2019-01-22 00:58
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Could you please give further informations and develop your statement ?
2019-01-22 00:52
start by trying to find actual research articles for your statements, and not some overexaggarated comments from a failed geologist who needs attention, and I will comment those. Also fyi. the funding for climate change is so unreal these days in universities that any dumb failed physicists who joins a climate group and writes CO2 in his funding application will have pockets full of money.
2019-01-22 01:02
30cm of earth's water level? don't you think that's huge? If we are speaking of water level, we are speaking of water column height which means we are speaking of volume. How many liters do you think it requires to earth's water level go 30cm higher? Just like earth's surface temperature, it has been 1 Celsius degree higher in the last 100-150 years. We may think 1 Celsius degree is nothing, but compare it to human's body temperature: the normal would be 36-36,5 celsius degree, if you measure it and you have 37,5 you probably will be diagnosticated with fever.
2019-01-22 01:10
The Battery, NY sea level graph is constructed so that the average seasonal cycle – a rather simply calculable function of time that only depends on astronomy – is subtracted. What is left is a remarkably straight line despite the fact that the difference between the (two) maxima and (two) minima of sea level on a given day in Battery, NY is almost 2 meters and we need to isolate millimeters every year. It's so straight that NOAA has calculated the rate of the sea level rise as dhdt=(27.7-+0.9)cm/century The relative error is just 3%. Quite amazing: the error of the known temperature increase in the last 100 years exceeds 10%. When you see how straight the graph is and how the rate hasn't visibly changed in the last 100 years, you must also agree that it's very hard to imagine that the sea level rise in the next 100 years will be too far from these 27.7 centimeters. Every sensible person knows that 27.7 centimeters per century is negligible for practical purposes. It makes no sense to be afraid of a sea level that 27.7 centimeters higher in 2112 than it is today. You should also be able to see – just visually – that the average acceleration of the sea level rise is almost exactly zero. It's so close to zero that the error of the acceleration coefficient would be comparable to the acceleration itself. So it makes no sense to try to extract the acceleration from the time series: there's none. That's why I found a long text by Stefan Rahmstorf redundant and useless. It's a futile task to try to extract the acceleration from this graph simply because there's no significant acceleration in the graph. Otherwise his main claim is totally illogical. He tells you that you shouldn't try to estimate acceleration by fitting a quadratic. However, the average acceleration over the period is pretty much by definition the quadratic coefficient in the best-fit quadratic (times two, to celebrate Mr Brook Taylor). So the precise procedure he wants to ban is surely valid. The actual correct claim is that you shouldn't try to calculate the acceleration at all because within the error margin, it's zero (equivalently, the error margin is as large as the acceleration itself) and because the additional non-linearities that seem non-quadratic imply that it's not a good approximation to talk about a constant acceleration at all! But as long as you want to talk about a universal, constant acceleration, it is nothing else than the quadratic coefficient from the best-fit quadratic (times two), despite Rahmstorf's silly discouragement. I think that the sea nicely averages the heat at many places of the globe. Well, let's admit that the sea level graph is smoother also because the oceans have a significant "inertia" – well, I mean heat capacity. But it doesn't matter. The inertia is just doing something like 5-year or 10-year running averages of an underlying trend that could be more bumpy. But it's still true that the sea level in Battery, NY shows nothing like the global cooling between the 1940s and the 1970s. The sea level was rising rather uniformly (linearly) throughout the last 120 years or so, independently of CO2 production, aerosol emissions, and other things. The linear shape of the graph is a strong piece of evidence that the sea level rise isn't (mostly) caused by the bumpy (and exponentially increasing: the CO2 emissions increase e times every 57 years) human activity. Despite the widespread hype about melting, most of the trend above is actually caused by thermal expansion of the ocean. (Melting accounts for 20% or so.) You see that the density of water is actually minimized at approximately 4 °C (Howard W. is telling me that the salty seawater has the minimum elsewhere, actually at –2 °C). Water expands if you cool it or warm it from this particular temperature. At reasonable "room temperatures" (or the ocean temperature in a large majority of the globe), the coefficient of thermal expansion is something like 0.025% per Celsius degree. So if the ocean temperature increased by 0.5 °C in a century (probably a bit less than that because the oceans were warming less quickly than the land), you may see that the "height of water" should have increased by something like 0.01% in the last century. Because we know that the actual rise was about 30 centimeters, we may estimate the relevant part of the ocean that was heating up and expanding. 30 centimeters is 0.01% of how much? Well, we get 3 kilometers. It's surely a thicker layer of the ocean surface than what is usually considered as the "circulating part of the ocean" capable of storing heat. But there are different effective descriptions at different time scales. If you consider longer time scales, like 20 years instead of 5 years, deeper layers of the world ocean become relevant. It's remotely conceivable that the melting of glaciers and ice sheets in the Greenland or Antarctica could become more important in the future and the trend may start to change quite suddenly. But the impressive constancy of the sea level trend in Battery, NY – and any place that measures it as well as the Newyorkers do (there aren't too many places like that) – is a strong indication that such a melting contribution (and, independently of that, the human contribution) hasn't started to be important yet. Could we please postpone all the climate worries to the moment when the sea level rise trend (measured at least from a decade of data) increases at least to 50 centimeters per century? The data available so far indicate that we haven't changed an iota about the natural trends yet and the continuing expansion of the New York City is a strong hint that 27.7 centimeters per century is just fine from all points of view.
2019-01-22 01:24
motls.blogspot.com/2012/12/sea-level-ris.. You should post atleast the reference where you get yours texts from.
2019-01-22 01:27
 | 
France Boryskuuu 
R E K T
2019-01-22 13:56
 | 
United States stephcurry30 
OOF EXPOSED
2019-01-23 00:46
 | 
France TheArchitect 
In your example your talking about NYC and its capacity to resist easily to a 30cm rise. Now let me give you my personnal experience in my own city, Venice. Venice is directly built on water in a lagoon and is subject to high and low tides. As this city is now really old generations of Venitians adapted the city to the high tides and till now everything was quite fine. Of course there was tiny repairs to make, a lot of cleaning and some other little stuff after each high tide. The problem is that now it's been a few years that the high tides are higher and higher (in October we had 1.6 meters which is one of the highest recorded) and the average level is higher than before leading to more frequent floods in the lowest parts of the city. The intensification of the phenomenon is leading to more important damages for the city and it is leading it to its final destruction in a century or two if nothing is done. (Right now some are working on an eventual gate to close the lagoon and have a total control of the tides, but on the other hand it might kill 90% of the biodiversity of the lagoon and also cost billions). So your NYC example is interesting but it's not because 1 city in the world can handle ocean rising that the whole world is safe. And in my case, the iconic Venice might dissapear.
2019-01-22 01:35
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
Venice will be gone unless you start lifting buildings (and u do have many decades time) which is possible in theory considering they are on top of water, and its not due to industrialization but due to normal climate change. Unfortunate that your ancestors thought it was a good idea to build a town on top of a lagoon.
2019-01-22 01:42
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Without human intervention the natural pace of sea rise would make Venice unliveable in more than a thousand years ... But yeah building a city on very tiny islands (or directly on water for huge parts of the city) is not the most sustainable way to make a city but remember that it has been made to avoid being invaded by the barbarians. And they couldn't imagine a second that the climate would change (didn't have the proper tools to measure that kind of stuff) and the sea level would rise super fast. Also lifting the buildings is not an option at all right now because we don't have the technology to make it without damaging the building and taking the risk of a total destruction (we're talking about huge palaces built out of marble and stones, not steel and glass modern buildings or wooden houses).
2019-01-22 01:47
 | 
copy pasting word for word from motls.blogspot.com/2012/12/sea-level-ris.. w/out citing and attempting to pass it off as your own? TheBestTheoreticalPhysicist OMGEALUL
2019-01-23 00:46
It was quite an obvious copypasta (unlike your Chegg solution given to Brochinski after he taunted that you could not solve simple newtonian mechanic problems, and ironically you didnt), which I am sure everyone above 90 IQ understood. I was not expecting readers to care for references, since OP did not provide a single one either. Why dont you go practise some squares mr Engineer.
2019-01-23 13:33
 | 
hello there brochinski alt, u asked for the ratio and u got it in eq form for the most general soln its no surprised u found a similar problem on chegg since its a common one in any mechanics and astrophys class. why dont u provide some of ur own models and tables instead of stealing from actual physicists mr Imposter and Plagiariser.
2019-01-23 18:54
I am not his alt. You are a psychopath as well, atleast a pathological liar. You ”solution” was not only wrong based on his question but also very obvious copy paste from Chegg. Honestly, I dont think you are an engineer either. A college dropout at most.
2019-01-23 20:29
 | 
France TheArchitect 
I'm not even close to a geologist, read properly please. I'm an urban planner/designer. My job is to adapt cities to climate change and find solution to mitigate it. As I spent a lot of time in universities, with some teachers/researchers working around climate change, I can tell you it doesn't really work like this. At least in Europe I don't know in other places.
2019-01-22 01:13
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
He didnt say you were, maybe you should read properly
2019-01-22 01:30
 | 
France TheArchitect 
He said a "failed geologist". But I never had any will of being one, or never been any close to approach the geology subject. So it's irrelevant.
2019-01-22 01:36
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
FROM A GEOLOGiST
2019-01-22 01:43
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Who is he refering to then ? I never posted anything else than my own experience.
2019-01-22 01:48
 | 
Hong Kong Hydr4_csgo 
He said that you should read more good research articles and not articles written from failed geologists...
2019-01-22 13:20
 | 
Hong Kong Hydr4_csgo 
What is your job exactly?
2019-01-22 13:23
 | 
Hong Kong Hydr4_csgo 
He is saying that because the north pole is already on water the impact of the melting is not much. In fact the water expands about 9% when it freezes. So if only the north pole melts oceans will not raise a millimetre... in fact if only the north pole melts it was expected for the ocean shrink a little bit.
2019-01-22 13:10
You're right that the North pole isn't the issue - Greenland is and guess what - they are seeing record melting of ice. But I get you don't believe there is an issue and I wish you were right, but you're not. Go read the UN climate report or some of the many other studies on the subject. When you do you'll also learn the rising sea levels are just one aspect of what is happening.
2019-01-22 01:17
water level will rise in future. cause of the ice of greenland and the antarctic
2019-01-23 00:31
 | 
Turkey tastemycobra 
Everyone is a fucking scientist.
 | 
France TheArchitect 
I'm not a scientist, read properly next time. I'm an urban planner. But as an urban planner I met a lot of scientists and researchers working on climate change.
2019-01-22 01:09
 | 
Turkey tastemycobra 
I hate people taking me or themselves too serious.
2019-01-22 01:10
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Well you seems to doubt that I'm a scientist, I'm just telling you that that's normal because you're right, I'm not a scientist.
2019-01-22 01:14
Thanks for such a good insight about climate change. I'm an agronomical engineer and i'm also looking for alternatives to mitigate it's effects since agriculture is taking a huge impact due to climate changes. As I said in the other topic, the most evident fact here in south of Brazil is the alteration on thermoperiodicity (difference between day time temperature and night time temperature), besides clouds formation, unexpected dry and rainy moments and many others. This was one of the most approached topics during my college formation, and the worst part of it is that agriculture is one of the main agents of climate change. Agrochemicals are destroying our atmosphere (most of them have high volatibility), our soil and biodiversity. We are destroying tons of acres of biodiversity to crop monocultures, which creates problems in genetical material and creation of super-races of pathogens, plagues and infestant plants. I think the first step for humanity is to change the way we see nature itself. We are not higher, or smartert or even necessary to nature, it's completely the oposite of that. Egoism and greed are going to exterminate us, slowly and quietly.
 | 
France TheArchitect 
You seems really wise. Most of the agronomical engineer I met were more into a "how to make cash as fast as possible" perspective than "how to feed people without killing them later" perspective. I'm not an expert in agriculture and rural areas (urban designer) but as far as I know you should maybe look into permaculture technics. But again it's out of my competences, you might know way more than me.
2019-01-22 01:07
That's the main problem towards everything basically, the main objective is economical profit not sustainable outcome. Yeah, permaculture and agroecology technics it's what we have been try to disseminate on a academical level and farmer's level, but it's really hard since most of the financial iniciatives in those two levels are focused on convencional agriculture. It's a though fight, but we won't stop fighting. I wanna a better world for my children. As an urban designer you could look up for urban agriculture, it's a new technique but it's gaining space really fast and is based on agroecology and permaculture techniques.
2019-01-22 01:19
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Yeah I'm highly interested in urban agriculture, I even wrote a small paper on it about a french city (Rennes) projecting to build a big autonomous urban farm that can work in closed cycle. Interesting project even if it's bit too artificial for me (even if it's organic food and stuff). Urban agriculture is mostly used in social programmes to help people readapt to society after big troubles like prison, drug addiction, etc ... or just to provide some social link between the inhabitants of a district.
2019-01-22 01:40
Nothing better than mixing agriculture with social programms. Keep doing this great work! That project doesn't look artificial to me, maybe because i haven't read it, but it's doable in my opinion. We are also doing something similar here in Brazil with public schools, to keep the children busy and out of trouble. That's how we might change the current relationship between humans/nature, step by step and doing something we believe into.
2019-01-22 02:00
 | 
France TheArchitect 
You're absolutly right, we can't expect the whole world to reverse it's way of thinking and acting, we have to do it stone after stone. BTW if you're interested look for the "Tour Vivante" project by SOA architects. There might be english documentation on the project. It's quite interesting to see that in the same tower they can mix offices, houses and a whole autonomous farm.
2019-01-22 02:10
 | 
Sweden currycurry 
>Climate change 0/8 bait
2019-01-22 01:05
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Can you develop further arguments ? I'm talking about my personal experience and how we handle climate change in the political and architectural sphere.
2019-01-22 01:08
 | 
Sweden currycurry 
Everyone knows that climate change is liberal propaganda. The earth has had thruout history both warm and cold periods, and now we’re getting a warmer one.
2019-01-22 08:11
yes and if it gets too warm were all gonna die thats the fucking point.
2019-01-22 09:58
 | 
Sweden currycurry 
Its normal for it to become warmer sometimes. Its called weather.
2019-01-22 11:16
oh so weather equals climate. right. forgot. thanks. hOw cAn cLiMaTe cHaNgE bE rEaL wHeN iTs CoLd iN SiBeRiA Xddddd
2019-01-22 11:54
 | 
Sweden currycurry 
Are you stupid or what? Its a balance in the world. Warm and cold. Africa and Russia for example. When you combine both you get a healthy environment, you need to put both into perspective. Something most scentists tend to overlook.
2019-01-22 12:26
yea but you little hltv einstein took it into account. you have no qualifications in that field and claim to know more than ppl who worked their entire life on this subject. kinda hilarious.
2019-01-22 12:32
 | 
Sweden currycurry 
Maybe you should reconsider your choice of ”scientists” to listen to. You are brainwadhed from the media, learn to think for yourself insead of accepting what society wants you to think.
2019-01-23 10:24
Nahh, climate changes is passe, flat earth is more creative. Someone should make a movie about this :D.
2019-01-22 01:09
a friend of mine believe earth is flat and I'm concerned for his young son
2019-01-22 01:16
Tldr: go vegan
2019-01-22 01:37
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
veganism helps very little, especially in countries like sweden where basically all fruits and nuts, and most vegetables are imported
2019-01-22 10:18
yeah
2019-01-22 17:15
Eating local food is best Indeed. Meat does have other ecological problems though, like the amount of water and land to produce it.
2019-01-22 21:54
 | 
Czech Republic ModusOperandi 
on another note, why bother when the human kind will vanish one day anyways? it's like with any living creature ( not only a creature as our planet / star / globe / rock / thing will also perish in this dark yet so bright emptiness sooner or later ) - ashes to ashes dust to dust, ofc the life span of everything that's considered as a "living" may vary due to the unlimited aspects affecting it. on another another note, if you believe in the darwin's theory of evolution or any other theory that says we evolved from some particles mixed with water and bacteria and so on, then we're nothing else than a parasites to this world. I don't know about earth's meaning or anything but it's just little bit too funny all of this to me. I mean from the beginning of time if at least a tiny fact of the history of human kind is true then we've been trying to survive eversince the first bacterias popped up and it has never stopped and most likely won't until we'll destroy this planet or it will destroy us or some percentage will make it out to another planet and colonise it ( sounds kinda similar to what bacterias do right ) and people love themselves so much ( read ego ) that they won't accept it I mean it's just a flesh and bones yeah and consciousness and subconsciousness and not only this but daaaaym it's just funny to me to play this game everyday. and on another another another note, ye I do agree we should stop killing quadrillions of animals every year as well as banning all plastics and basically everything you mentioned above that we produce and it kills the planet, cause we have absolutely no right to behave like that :D but yeah whateverssss people btws. feel free to check out this channel as it is really informative and this specific video I am linking discusses the problematic of the green house emissions and vegetarianism youtube.com/watch?v=NxvQPzrg2Wg
2019-01-22 01:55
 | 
France TheArchitect 
You read too much Albert Camus, Kafka, ... you became nihilistic. I see myself and the rest of human kind as any other animal specie fighting for its survival and interests and I try to make the long term interests a priority in the political world (at a metropolitan city scale). But turning the whole humanity vegetarian is another job hehe, trying to solve a global problem like climate change with global solution is almost impossible as you'll always have people to tell you that they don't believe in what you say or that they don't care or that a steak is worth a million deaths
2019-01-22 02:16
 | 
Czech Republic ModusOperandi 
I am not saying we all should turn vegetarians nor vegans, neither does the video I linked. Like you said it's impossible to please everyone and it's just another "law of the nature" that there has to be positive and negative, the good and the bad, white and black, up and down, meaning that someone will always disagree. At the end of the video they say that we're not far from getting meat from laboratories that tastes the same as the "real" one but is man-made and is not harmful to the nature as you don't have to kill anything. But ofc before we'll be able to switch to it the "world leaders" or whoever that might be, will make another marketing strategy about it like they do with anything so society can keep on going and spinning the wheels of capitalism and so we can produce more of everything and the circle never ends:D sorry for sounding crazy, I am already tired and I can't think of a better way now how to express my thoughts. I wouldn't say I am a nihilist, but my mind tends to shift from all kinds of moods and various stages. I am just really like to think about stuff. I didn't want you to get the impression that we as a mankind are that bad. It was just another one of my points of view, yet I have to admit that what I wrote could be understood that way. Like I said I am also having fun on this struggle that we all going through at the same time, because I do believe that everything's connected and everyone can think and believe in whatever they want to. I started to read "The Book of Mirdad" give it a chance some day. Cheers!
2019-01-22 03:19
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
Nice vegan propaganda movie. Meat is the only food you can survive with without any deficiencies.
2019-01-22 17:27
I love eating meat yet I am slowly starting to think about making some changes in my diet, because if you watched that same clip I linked and came up with what you wrote then you must be outta your mind. I don't know what makes you think like that but whatevers.. #47 said it before and I said it myself too in just another way.. in this world we'll always have that *special* (special because people just love to think about themselves they're special) someone to disagree without thinking twice. propaganda you say, oh boy btws. just found this, so you can have some lols i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/a4/ae/b3a4ae0f..
2019-01-22 20:52
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
hahahahaha shut up uve been a brain washed vegetarian for ages. Your picture is stupid too. Dogs have been used as tools for ages, and i dont support this ”cute breeding” making them handicapped but ”small and cute to hold”. Your vegetatian diet is not saving the world either, you are only hurting yourself in the long run.
2019-01-22 21:02
I would shut up if I decide to, thanks for the advice. Your way of talking to others is more than enough for me to know that I won't start any disscusion with your imperious personality. Get a grip.
2019-01-23 00:25
 | 
Norway bruhfessor 
No worries, save your dogfood posters to some single women living in urban neighborhood with onset of mental disorder (aka the typical vegetarian) ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124..
2019-01-23 01:33
I love living and that's why I think it would be a shame if humanity perished unnecessarily early.
2019-01-22 21:56
Thanks for your opinion. That's great and I am happy for you and wish you the very best in your life! What I wrote may give the impression to others that I see us the human kind as a parasite and to be honest I kind of do see it that way but I have no intention in spreading it around without discussing it with others who may be interested in why I do see us that way.. BUT I have to admit that I would like to know the ''purpose'' of our race here and know all the answers to those seemingly impossible-to-answer questions that I might have or seen. I mean life is weird yet so wonderful though:D There's so much pain in this world that even in this era of ''everything's connected'' ( read internet and social media...) we are not able help everyone.. be safe!
2019-01-23 00:40
I don’t care if you mofos will have it 10 degrees cooler, if the Gulf Stream gets washed away by the cold streams. I just want it to finally get warmer here. So global warming is welcome.
2019-01-22 04:24
yes but when i google snow pictures it still looks cold so global warming = fake news
2019-01-22 04:35
 | 
Finland no_man 
how can global warming be real if its -20c outside xDDDd
2019-01-22 08:13
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
We wont never ever be able to do something with climate change impossible, only if god helps
2019-01-22 08:21
So basically "Let's keep ruining the planet, someone else will fix it"
2019-01-22 09:06
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
No there is no way to fix it, only if a lot of people die
2019-01-22 09:42
Permanent damage has already been caused. I think that we can slow it down though, hopefully long enough until we can find a solution that we simply don't have as of right now. I agree with you when it comes to overpopulation. Combine it with the massive meat industry which is one of the biggest polluters there is and the growing demand for food (and meat) it's only going to get worse. But you can't just snap your finger and remove half of humankind.
2019-01-22 09:54
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
And we this immigration aswell to many get saved, africa will have as big population as asia in the future its impossible!
2019-01-22 10:15
I'm afraid there's not much we can do about it. Contraception isn't really a thing there (as far as I know, feel free to correct me). Companies are the worst polluters out there. Be it air or water.
2019-01-22 10:31
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
There is 0 is done trump wins jesus save us
2019-01-22 10:36
 | 
Poland sitarskee 
unexpected to be honest but you got the one and only solution to the problem to save the planet we would have to kill most of the world's population
2019-01-22 13:39
We already have all the tools to stop global warming. It would just require decisions that would be unfair towards many (especially smaller) energy companies, and nobody with the power is brave enough to make those decisions. Money rules here.
2019-01-22 21:59
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
By 2100 its estimated that we will be around 11 billion people good luck with stop it
2019-01-22 23:22
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
People that think that a diet can save the planet are just stoopid and dont think
2019-01-22 08:23
>people who think dont think. k
2019-01-22 10:01
He's probably implying that from his perspective, people that think changing their lifestyle will impact climate change in any way aren't using their brains correctly.
2019-01-22 10:41
i know but its funny how his statement contradicts itself in the way he put his sentence. im not disagreeing. going vegan wont save the planet unless everybody would do it at the same time but that will never happen. its up to the politicians to provide systems that dont harm the climate anymore. similar to whats happening in the car industry rn.
2019-01-22 10:45
I get what you're saying. The broken English did confuse me for a second, but not everyone on HLTV is a native/fluid English speaker :) I don't think going vegan is a must, but the meat industry has to change (I heard algae could be a great source for a bunch of things, including food and fuel). Things have to change, it's just not happening fast enough....
2019-01-22 10:52
agreed. dunno bout the "too slow" part. usually these advancements improve exponentially the question is.. wheres the tipping point? but i guess its not so far off. i mean EU banned all plastics. thats a HUGE step imo.
2019-01-22 10:56
My fault, should've explained it in a better way. I meant not fast enough as not enough investment into it from companies worldwide. 5% of all companies (using 5% as an example, I know it's not accurate, nor do I claim it to be.) are making great strides to a greener/better future. But 5% is not enough. The plastic ban is a great step forward though. (one i'm really happy with).
2019-01-22 11:03
yea now this i can agree on. i guess there are too many lobbies behind that... but then again, as history suggests, improvements / advancements tend to be accelerating or arent linear. so i hope its a reeeeaaally steep exponential curve lol.
2019-01-22 11:11
It's terrible. People are throwing away our planet so they can earn more money. I hope that people will get into power that actually care about the planet and what scientist say, instead of believing what they get told from people who have something to gain/lose from changes. Money comes first, who cares about the planet when you can earn more money.
2019-01-22 11:21
many influential people nowdays start to realize that we HAVE to do something. even if this assumption might not hold... im an eternal optimist ;)
2019-01-22 11:52
Same here, just wish more people would realize it :(
2019-01-22 12:40
hltv is the wrong place for that unfortunately. even if some ppl create threads like this.. the trolls are lurking and they never gdt tired for some reason.
2019-01-22 12:41
HLTV is one of the most toxic places I have ever visited. I just don't understand how some people get enjoyment out of harassing others.
2019-01-22 12:46
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
Its expected that their will live as many in africa as in asia so ITS GG WHEN THEY START TO USE GASOLINE LIKE IN CHINA
2019-01-22 13:43
Wrong thread or...?
2019-01-22 13:46
 | 
Sweden jakerr 
No its right thread
2019-01-22 13:46
Your reply just didn't really fit into the conversation me and Press_X_To_Doubt were having.
2019-01-22 13:48
but the wrong conversation. LUL
2019-01-22 13:48
Wow how have I not heard of this,. By banning all plastics like what does that include? Surely it's not literally ALL plastics? I can't imagine life without seeing some of it.
2019-01-22 21:07
 | 
France TheArchitect 
It's not ALL plastic, but keep in mind that 60 years ago plastic was really uncommon material. We were using more metal and wood which are more environmental friendly and provides better quality to the product also (there's good plastics I know but 99% of our products are made with so shitty plastic it breaks in the blink of an eye). Also metal and wood are materials easy to repair/replace. With most plastics when it breaks it's almost impossible to repair, you have to change the whole thing. but anyway, what he refers to is only single-use plastic stuff like a straw or a plastic cup. It's a nice step as now you won't see anything in plastic you'll need to throw after a short time. No more plastic straws in bars or at macdonald as example. Or they will change them with biomaterials, there's plenty of companies doing great stuff nowadays with plastic-like stuff but made out of some kind of algae, etc ... which is armless for the environment and even biodegrades itself in a few days out.
2019-01-22 21:27
Wow thanks again for clarifying!
2019-01-22 22:09
Screwing normal people over with taxes won't affect climate change
2019-01-22 10:55
 | 
Sweden GabN 
I get what you are saying, however an increase in tax for travelling and primarily long distance import/export would decrease pollution. This would lead to people rather consuming products made nearby instead of having it travel all the way from e.g. China. I don't believe enough people are willing to mainly buy close made products otherwise. Of course the method has flaws, but it shouldn't be ruled out.
2019-01-22 23:55
 | 
Switzerland Tangyre 
The real probleme is that it's the country that are the most eco friendly that do the most efforts, in France / Swiss this climate change is breaking my nuts H24 yet we are not even responsible of 1% of the total pollution. It necesseray to act but corporations and goverments use this as a pretext to draw money from people at a faster rate. Tema Macron srx. I support Trump but he's being a bit retarded on this, whereas Eu & Canada are using this to virtue signal and pump money.
2019-01-22 11:10
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Well I invite you to look at the govnment budgets or even your local administration budget. Environmental questions are far far far far away from being relevently expensive in a matter of budget. As example in France in 2018 environment, ecology, energy and stuff costs 11 billions to French state. on the other hand just the interests of the debt cost 41 billions € a year. Defense : 42 billions, education (without universities) : 51 billions. Ecology is just a water drop in the budget, you don't even feel it on your taxes, but trust me even if we're still far away from doing enough, it has a lot of positive impact on our daily lives.
2019-01-22 21:37
 | 
Switzerland Tangyre 
Tbh i already know all of this, doesn't change the fact that the little money invested is still badly used, look at Macron not even using a fraction of what he could have had with the taxes on gas to actual ecology department. Hell even Huleau went the fuck out lmao. Education > Ecology bruh. It's not little France & Switzerland that are not even 1% of the world total pollution that need to invest in this, how about China ? India ? The US ? You seem to be a good guy but a missplaced effort is a wasted effort, it's not because we are doing so tri selectif & this kind of shit that China will cease to pollute as much as they do. And we don't have money to invest in ecology, i'll be very much okay to invest, but after our economy has stabilized, that our education got back to standards and when their will be no homeless, workless. Btw im all in for Nuclear energy what do you think about it ?
2019-01-22 22:14
U all belive in this hoax
2019-01-22 12:47
Care to elaborate?
2019-01-22 13:22
Just study some history, swedes invaded Eastern Europe by walking on the frozen Baltic Sea around years 1600-1700 so it means they had already some kind of frozen ages, it’s a natural cycle
2019-01-22 13:58
I never stated that it wasn't a natural cycle. We are just making it way worse, and speeding it up in the process.
2019-01-22 14:06
 | 
Poland sitarskee 
People who say climate change is fake are plain retards, unfortunately. There have been many climate changes on our planet in the past, some were caused due to catastrophies, some were natural. Right now we are experiencing a slow and steady climate change and even though more and more countries start to acknowledge the climate change, in my opinion this won't change it at all. Too many wrong choices were made along the way, there are too many people on the planet, the number is still growing, more and more rainforests and forests are being cut down for soya farms etc. People choose architecture and technology over nature, they would rather cut down a forest to build next fucking shopping centre than save the forest and animals living in it. There is no saving this planet, atleast not our civilization. Maybe the people who come after us and after the planet returns to its more natural state will make better choices and understand the importance of nature and living in peace with it. Call me a retard, whatever, but that's my opinion. I believe people once lived in peace with nature, respected it and didn't act against it. I believe people had life figured out way more than we do 13000 years ago and earlier.
2019-01-22 13:37
I’m gonna call u retard What now
2019-01-22 13:58
 | 
Poland sitarskee 
i am going to cry, man, don't do it pls
2019-01-22 18:11
 | 
France TheArchitect 
I agree with a lot things you said but don't idealize ancient times too much. We had a lot of examples through history were we saw that human cilizations through times always behaved really really bad with their environment. Like isolated islands in the pacific where not a single tree were remaining, tribes forced to moved because they prelevated too much ressources from their surroundings, or the roman empire who managed to pollute the air with plumb so hard (to build weapons) that peopel were litteraly suffocating in the streets and we even found some of it stuck for 2000 years in the north pole ices.
2019-01-22 21:43
 | 
Poland sitarskee 
you're right, i didn't specify what i mean though, when i say ancient civilizations i mean the real ancient ones, the ones we have no knowledge about except for knowing they existed way before the human civilization begins in our history books but this is just my pure imagination since we can't know what people were like, what they did and what they believed in
2019-01-22 23:02
 | 
Korea XigNw0w 
Is a hoax.
2019-01-22 14:09
i do believe our climate is changing but its not anywhere near as bad as they make it look, media is used to spread fear and panic so the citizen stay in the comfort zone and matrix as i call it. u gonna have hot summers followed by cold winter
2019-01-22 18:12
 | 
Sweden GabN 
Yes I also believe our current situation has been overstated because of a periodically changing climate. However, we shouldn't have to wait for something real big before we take action. The climate change beyond nature's own is vivid. Humankind are really bad at recognising and dealing with slow changes whom in the long run are alarming.
2019-01-23 00:06
You were talking about adaptation and mitigation, can you explain this more? What's the difference maybe or an example etc.
2019-01-22 21:01
 | 
France TheArchitect 
MITIGATION Ok you might already know what mitigation is about. It's all actions taken to try to slow or reverse climate change. As example : if you have next to your city a big factory emitting a lot of CO2 and other greenhouse gases, it's increasing the greenhouse effect and accelerating climate change SO any action that will reduce the impact of this factory will mitigate climate change. At my scale as example a simple trick consist in transforming all public transports of a city into electric vehicules (electric bus, tramway, ...). On the other hand you can also compensate your impact to limit its effect. As example if you keep your thermic engine vehicules for public transportations because it's too expensive to replace everything or whatever reason, you can on the side plant a new forest in empty fields, or stuff like that, that will reduce your local average impact on climate change. ADAPTATION Adaptation is quite a new approach to the problem. Since we're aware of the climate change problem and other evironmental problems we mainly focused on reversing the process. But now it's been a few years we know that we won't be able to avoid a hard climate change because it's already too late. So we're preparing the cities and the regions to climate change. Our cities have been designed through the centuries and were made according to the different situations back in the days, so in some ways they are super adapted to what their environment used to be and how people used to practice the city (not talking about NA it's a different history and different way to do urban planning/architecture it can be tricky). But now that a lot of factors are changing at super fast pace we have to take specific actions to feel less the effects of climate change. As example : let say there's a huge central square in the middle of the city, like in a lot of historical centers. This place is a place of gathering for the citizens, so they meet, they talk, they enjoy their time, idk. But it has been designed in times were 40°C for 3 days wasn't even thinkable. And now it's happening every year or every 2 years. This square doesn't have a single tree or just a few and there's almost no shadow, it's like a massive stone oven right in the middle of the city. Adaptation would be to imitate a lot of mediterranean antic cities by putting a lot of trees in the streets and around the square to provide shadow, keep a bit of humidity and a feeling of freshness. (Two streets of the same city, one with trees, the other without, can have a 9°C difference just because of a few trees, it's insanly easy but efficient). Also in the case of Venice where I'm working right now, we try to protect the vulnerable places from high tides, stuff like that.
2019-01-22 21:21
Wow. Thanks so much for clarifying. I sometimes find it hard to distinguish between the two. This cleared that up!
2019-01-22 22:07
FalleN | 
Brazil Feio91 
yes, it is. prove it or....
2019-01-22 21:38
 | 
India otgps 
I don't give 2 shits about human beings but I know due to global warming, some polar bears are going hungry and encroaching other polar bear territory and some penguins kids due to their mothers not returning in time due to less fish food and I already use bicycle for everything, take my own bag everywhere to shop and planted 11 more trees in my house. Also, installed a 15kW Solar plant over house to help with carbon burning. Tell me what more to do to help those damn cute bears
2019-01-22 21:42
 | 
France TheArchitect 
I guess you did quite a good job in mitigating climate change at your scale, your impact on these bears is way reduced but maybe you now need to convince more and more people to do the same as you. Also if you convince your government to take specific actions against big factories and other highly polluting industries your impact to help these bears will be super high
2019-01-22 21:45
 | 
India otgps 
Indian government does zero shit so I can't do anything about that but I myself am a factory owner and we are installing a Zero Liquid discharge Mechanically pumped multi stage evaporator to prevent local land/water pollution. Also using a fluidized coal bed boiler with Precipitated and lime treated chimneys. All heating done in factory is using heat pumps rather than resistive electric coils and have installed 100kW solar farm for filling some factory needs. Our refrigeration is also Adsorption cycle rather than vapor compression. Can't convince more people to follow suit. They mock me and make fun of me but I like trying to help those bears
2019-01-22 21:49
Guys, i am so proud. I am watching now hltv.org since 3 years, (yeah i make my own account very late) but thats the first real disscused and well formed post i ever saw. The tears are falling and i like all of you.
2019-01-22 21:42
 | 
Greece deST) 
Why do you bother post a mid/high tier text in this kindergarden forum which is full of retards or trolls?People who claim that climate change is fake , must have parents siblings , i mean nobody can be that much retarded or brainwashed
2019-01-22 21:59
 | 
Poland sitarskee 
I don't think it's a mid/high tier text - whatever you mean by that - because the topic of climate change is known worldwide whether you like it or not. It's just that some countries or people decide to deny it and ignore it. And as you can see, there were quite some people who actually replied to the guy who made this topic with their opinion without trolling/shitting so it's not a 100% kindergarden forum, there are quite reasonable people here who will happily share their opinion with others. but yeah, you're right though, people who don't believe it are straight-forward retarded
2019-01-22 23:09
 | 
France TheArchitect 
You're right I was quite surprised to find that some people have actual proper answer and we had nice discussions. Even some asked me a few things about differences between mitigation and adaptation or about my job. I was expecting way more shit storm from HKTV community but I was wrong
2019-01-22 23:58
tldr
2019-01-23 00:08
global warming is a real problem and it need to be solved
2019-01-23 13:21
+1
2019-01-30 22:32
 | 
Portugal Antzrede 
Thanks for raising awareness for this super important topic.
2019-01-23 00:39
You didnt mention what we as a common people can do to contribute in lowering climate change.
2019-01-23 13:25
 | 
France TheArchitect 
Think about the fossil fuel required for every action you make and try yourself to find alternatives that might reduce it without undermining your way of life too much. As example : taking your car for a 1km distance while you can walk or take public transportation. Buying products with less packaging and coming from a local producer. But the biggest difference you can make is by reducing your meat consumption. Most of the greenhouse gases implied in the average human way of life is the meat production. So if you start lowering the meat you eat and replace it with vegetarian dishes from time to time you're saving a lot of energy, water, resources, ...
2019-01-23 19:31
nO iT'z a HoAx cUZ tRuMpF sAid So, nT LiBTaRd VeGaN LefTiST.
2019-01-23 13:32
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.