Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Abortion-law in Alabama and the USA
Germany aitscheltihwih 
Hello guys, I think we all have heard about the new abortionlaw in alabama. First of: I dont want to discuss the law itself, it wont lead anywhere on HLTV anyways, but I have a question about it. Obviously other states have different laws, so my question would be if people could just go to a different state where its possible to get an abortion? I mean how is that regulated? Would it be illegal to do it in a different state, if you are registered in alabama? I just want to understand how that law can be enforced and/or if there are possibilities to work around it if someone wants to get a legal abortion in some other state.
2019-05-22 14:25
 | 
Belgium KevinGatesYo 
Let’s say you’re Dutch and likes smoking weed, does that mean you can do it legally in Indonesia?
2019-05-22 14:29
Dutch=european country Indonesia=Asian country 2 countries in completely different places. How does that compare to 2 states in the USA?
2019-05-22 14:33
 | 
Belgium KevinGatesYo 
Because laws are different from state to state?
2019-05-22 14:38
Not all laws and there are regulations because of the different laws. For example if a state has a different gunlaw, you have to follow that law obviously. But if your state bans abortions, it could be that you still wouldnt be allowed to do it in a different state. And that is my question.
2019-05-22 14:46
 | 
Belgium KevinGatesYo 
I think that it’s still illegal to do it in other state where it’s illegal
2019-05-22 14:48
You mean in a state where its legal? Cause its pretty obvious that its illegal in a state where it illegal :D
2019-05-22 14:51
 | 
Belgium KevinGatesYo 
No dude, I mean like in your example. I think it doesn’t matter if you’re born in a state where it’s legal, if you are doing it on another state where it’s illegal and get caught doing that you will suffer the consequences
2019-05-22 14:53
 | 
Other xrist 
didn't they make so if you try to get an abortion in another state it would be illegal
2019-05-22 14:29
I dont know, thats what I want to know °-° I think if it would be possible to get an abortion legally in other staes, people would just do that.
2019-05-22 14:33
Pretty sure you can just go to another state and do it there, as long as you don't tell anyone of course because technically it was illegal I think,
2019-05-22 14:30
But that would mean you need to find a doctor that does it without telling anyone. That would be a huge risk and would cost alot and would 100% result in some doctors charging tons of money for illegal abortions. Im pretty sure that will happen in alabama anyways. That would suck tbh
2019-05-22 14:35
Pretty sure doctors are not allowed to snitch you by law
2019-05-22 14:42
I know, thats why I made sure to write "illegal abortions". But that wont stop every single doctor from doing it. If they can charge double as much for people from Alabama because they know they have no other options, some will do that illegally.
2019-05-22 14:48
Yeah I guess, it's a terrible situation imo
2019-05-22 14:52
sweet home alabama
2019-05-22 14:30
Abortion is hugely important in there, because otherwise there wouldn't be any incest kids. That's why religious people are so against abortion
I dont wanna discuss the law itself, I jsut want to know if its legal for someone from alabama to get an abortion in another state.
2019-05-22 14:49
 | 
Sweden Trkmag 
There was a crazy high punishment for going to another state and doing an abortion, I don't know if the law applies if you never return to Alabama?
2019-05-22 14:53
Thats interesting. Well, Im not american obviously, but if you do something illegal in one state, the police in a different state will help arresting you afaik. But this could become a political thing. Im pretty sure other states have the power to order the police to not help alabama arresting people that came to another state for an abortion (if the abortion is legal in that state)
2019-05-22 14:56
 | 
Sweden Trkmag 
Yeah but as you say, considering that abortion is legal in the state you do it in, how does that work?
2019-05-22 14:58
I dont really know, thats the thing :D Im still waiting for an educated american to show up in this thread and tell me °-°
2019-05-22 15:22
COCAINE | 
Mongolia bozgor 
i dont know with US states, but with countries you are now alloed to break your own national rules even if you are aboard and its legal there
Thats not true? I can go to the netherlands or some US-states and legally buy and smoke cannabis there, even if its illegal in germany. Unless the countries have extra laws that prevent me from doing so.
2019-05-22 14:50
COCAINE | 
Mongolia bozgor 
Its more complicated than that, for example if we would go to a country where killing is legal I would be still trialed for murder for killing you. Same goes for different kinds of frauds ect. Smoking weed is different I think (in reality nobody gives fuck obviously), but as I told you I cant recall the exact legal phrase for this.
2019-05-22 15:06
Well, I think those are specific laws that allow a country to prosecute someone for something that did in a different country. As you say murder can be one of them. But Im pretty sure you would have to make a law if you want to be able to charge someone from Alabama for doing an abortion in a different state. But generally speaking, you have to follow the law of the country you are IN, not the one you are from.
2019-05-22 15:28
COCAINE | 
Mongolia bozgor 
Ofc you follow the laws in the country you are in, my point is that doesnt defend you from prosecution at home, but who the fuck knows really, law is such a convoluted system. Btw smoking weed in the Netherlands is not legal, it is just tolerated.
2019-05-22 15:34
About netherlands: For my points its the same though, german officials cant prosecute me for buyng and smoking weed in the netherlands. But yeah of course you are right, its "tolerated". I agree with the rest aswell. Just trying to find out what that law will actually mean for people.
2019-05-22 15:39
 | 
Other xrist 
yes you are.
2019-05-22 14:56
If abortion is legal in a state next to Alabama, why couldn't you do what you just proposed?
2019-05-22 14:59
Because there might be a law that would make it illegal for you to do so. I dont know if thats the case, thats what Im asking. I just wanna know if it would be legally possible.
2019-05-22 15:29
 | 
Poland FitPolak 
Law is regulated for state/country, not people. I won't drive 140km on German autobahn, just becuase polish autobahns has 140km speed limit.
2019-05-22 15:01
History proofs different. It has been one in America before, back when Abortions where banned in many states. They would prosecute you for doing an abortion that was legal in the state you did it. Which results in people doing them illegally. Which then resulted in getting rid of said abortionlaws. And now Alabama wants them again, but I dont know if they can/will prosecute people that do an abortion in a different part of the USA.
2019-05-22 15:35
Q
RED
2x
BLACK
2x
JOKER
26x
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.