Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Got a 58 on my essay
 | 
United States MIBRISOVERALTT 
I got a 58 on my essay in high school, I don't think I deserve this but it might be my name starts with A and he has done a full loop with his grading and will give everyone less than a 50. This is my essay the whole class had to pick from racy topics. Sexual Harassment in Our Day-To-Day Lives “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed” a quote that originates from a study done by several universities from England and Wales and with the recent rise of female movements there has been more and more public attention given to sexual harassment cases. The public figures that represent this rising movement dictate that sexual harassment is abundant in our society, it is prevalent in our schools, workplaces, and they say that the hashtag MeToo movement has done well by pushing these cases into the public eyes, but even with all of this wide-spread publicity is sexual harassment overexaggerated and are all the statistics factually correct? (Elevated Diction) First, let’s start with an environment that hits closest to home, sexual harassment in our high schools. Usually sexual harassment in high schools stems from raging hormones and frontal lobes not being fully developed which causes an inability for teenagers to regulate their own behavior. Of course, there's also the fact that schooling is part of a teenager's life for seven hours of the day and for most teenagers, their schooling environment is where they get together with people from the other sex. Also, understanding other humans especially the other sex is something people major in and study for years on end and sometimes you can't expect someone who has not even reached college to recognize every social que plus the hormones. Well, when these sexual harassment cases happen it's usually on the school’s responsibility to act and take immediate action but sometimes those immediate actions are not as clear as they should be. Such as when Sam McNair, seventeen, gave his teacher a friendly hug which in turn got him suspended for a whole calendar year of school or when a five-year old boy was suspended for slapping a five-year-old girl’s bottom. Personally, I do not think anyone should get suspended for a whole calendar year because of a hug or a five-year old who probably does not even have a grasp of what sexual harassment is. If he did then his parents should probably be the ones in trouble for child neglect. Now, with all these cases what should schools do to stop sexual harassment in their learning environments. Well, the short answer is its complicated. First, it's impossible to stop sexual harassment in our schools without separating both genders and that obviously would cause a mass amount of expenses and probably is not what schools would want to do. Second, if you had to do it without separating genders than you probably would have to change all the social economy in todays’ teenage societies. That means the only thing we can do is to prevent these cases and make it easier for sexual harassment victims to come out which would not just be a PowerPoint that you would show on a Wednesday. With all of that in mind I think we should repurpose the SafeSchool app into making it a place where Sexual Harassment can be reported and advertise it more so we can get more students to get the app. (Charged Diction) Let's get the app downloaded on most teenager phones’ will be hard but maybe with some curriculum nights and maybe some school posters we would be able to do it. Then, with that we can have some harsh consequences on the things that do get reported and that will be a good deterrent for most people looking to do these acts. Overall, if we make it easier for sexual harassment to be reported and make our decisions uptight with some leniency to some of the wacky cases then we can atleast make sexual harassment cases less common. You want to know a similar situation to sexual harassment in schools but is different in a surprising way? (Alliteration) Well, if you have not figured it out it’s Sexual Harassment in the workplace. Why, would full grown adults' way past the age of eighteen sexually harass another individual? Why would a superior, someone who is higher than another in the workplace, harass someone with less power in the company even with the repercussions that action may have? (Rhetorical Question) Why don’t these individuals try to “pick someone up” in a place where it won’t cost them their main income? (Anaphora) Well, it starts off with a myriad of different reasons specific to every situation, but I think there is one that really shines a light on this issue in our workplaces the most. That reason is power, the one thing that we strive for our whole lives either by using money or getting in a political office, power is what the weak and the strong are separated by. Also, that power is why I think we have this problem; the power granted by a top spot in the office causes people to get infatuated with their position above others and what is the point of power if nobody else can gaze at its might. (Periodic sentence) Being in a higher position than someone and sexually harassing them because that other person also wants to get a higher position in that field is very common in today’s media. Especially the film industry who has cases such as Harvey Weinstein, a film producer, who tried to sexually harass many women by luring them in with “free massages”. Now, since we all know about the sexual harassment problem in our workplaces how will work supervisors fix this over encumbering and devastating issue? (Hyperbole) There's a lot of ways you could go about this, but I think first we should start with maybe just maybe having stricter requirements when hiring people for higher up jobs. Then, our workplaces must make sure to have clear sexual harassment laws that everyone in the workplace is aware off. If all our workplaces had these rules intact than maybe, we could finally have less sexual harassment in the workplace. Though, you should remember that sexual harassment in the workplace will never be fully eradicated unless we insert chips into all of societies brains making them devoid of all sexual thoughts but let's hope that never happens. If you haven’t noticed there has been a lot of more sexual harassment cases in the news lately. Though, why now are sexual harassment cases getting more frequent are people just getting lewder or has something changed in society? Well, it's the latter because something has changed in our society and that change is the #MeToo movement. The #MeToo movement started around 2006 and started catching more steam when multiple sexual harassments came out against Harvey Weinstein. More or less the #MeToo movement started as a hashtag on twitter against sexual harassment and assault against women telling them that they are not alone. This hashtag eventually started making these sexual harassment cases be shined into the public eye’s, but is that really a good thing? Is getting the media involved for more awareness a good thing? In the shortest possible answer that I can give you that would be a resounding no, and that is due mainly to how the media covers things. Since most media companies are not news outlets but advertising firms, they’d rather get your attention than say what the truth is. Most of the time they’ll come to a conclusion or reasoning to something before the other party actually gives it side which usually happens because these media companies know people can’t be happy without knowing the full reason of an occurrence in their life. If they are a more liberal media outlet then they would probably take the more liberal side which is also same for the right. Now, let’s stop with all this news outlet coverage what about the actual important media in our lives, social media? Well, if you didn’t know social media will be social media so of course they will for most of the times take a side before getting to know the other side, I mean we’ve all done it and we all know it's easier to stick with that side than not be completely sure about it. Though what I think is more important is the effects social media have on the accused. Right now, anybody here could have their life ruined if they would be accused of sexual harassment. If you have a job, well we’re sorry we are going to have to let you go for downsizing reasons, and there goes any scholarships you have racked up. Oh, and well there goes all your social position in your school because now everyone thinks you’re detrimental to society. You might even be expelled before the case has even finished. We'll all of that shows that there is definitely a problem with social media getting into sexual harassment cases and the detriment it can have on a person’s life before the case has even been resolved. In the world’s eyes people accused of sexual harassment are guilty like men that have been imprisoned for murder. (Simile) Such as recently when the professional footballer, Neymar, got his hands into a nasty setup by a certain individual who accused him of rape and video footage was released of her assaulting him instead. These people target high up individuals because of how much money they can get from these cases of sexual harassment. With all of that in mind, I think the media should not plunge their dirty hands into uneasy cases like sexual harassment. (Metaphor) Finally, the most important question of the day “Is Sexual harassment overexaggerated? With all these allegations is it a wide-spread problem that we should be focusing all our media coverage on? Personally, in these situations I like to look at some statistics that can give me a better insight on how much a problem is happening. Though, not for this situation because it seems the statistics on sexual harassment are a little bit iffy. One of those statistics is that “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed” which even If I am not a female, I know for a fact that those statistics are not true. Those kinds of numbers are national crisis-inducing kind of numbers. I mean we can easily disapprove these kinds of numbers by getting a head count, who here has been sexually harassed? While you may think this little white lie may not matter that much but in the long run it really effects our society. I do not really need to point anything out specifically but just try to remember the amount of cases where somebody’s scholarship and their job getting taken away from them because of a sexual harassment case. What the media does is that they keep pressuring these companies into firing these individuals which should not happen at all. People need to remember that sexual harassment is a problem but it is not as bad as “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed”. Well 2,000 words later sexual harassment is still a problem in our workplaces and our schools, but we shouldn’t have the media to step in and people should not be innocent before guilty. Sometimes, with these kinds of problems it is biologically impossible for humankind to not make moves on other people. Unless, society has advanced to the point where the landscape is widely different sexual harassment will always be in our society. What we can do is try to improve the situations for those victims and make awareness for this ever-growing problem in our society.
2019-10-23 00:34
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
ask your mom okay?
2019-10-23 00:35
 | 
which one the one that adopted me?
2019-10-23 00:35
both
2019-10-23 00:36
 | 
Finland Smoonah 
the real one dropped his ass
2019-10-23 01:50
Tl;dr
 | 
I can't really tldr because I got a bad grade on my essay and that is the essay that I don't think I should've gotten a 58 on.
Did absolutely everyone else fail too
2019-10-23 00:37
Read the first sentence
Ik but is it from 0 to 100 grade?
2019-10-23 00:38
yes
Ez report
2019-10-23 00:39
I had to speech it out so i wrote my notecards about the main topics and solutions the only part that I didn't like is when I paused when I was about to say something and then people thought I was about to say something super sexist cause they think I'm the funny guy
2019-10-23 00:40
 | 
Guatemala Pakal_I 
I bet you did
2019-10-23 01:39
ok
i couldn't even go to school and concentrade if everytime someone can come with a gun.... respect
You un ironically expected HLTV.org users to read the whole thing?
idk if you wanted to you could get a text to speech bot to talk it back to you
Still too much effort for the average HLTV.org user
 | 
Argentina Joedash 
i read till the half of it, too much, sorry xD
2019-10-23 02:54
 | 
Canada thelegend27 
shoulda just wrote ‘hugh mungus’ because thats the textbook example of sexual microharassments
Was about sexual harassment which i think is groping I think
2019-10-23 00:42
 | 
Canada thelegend27 
your prof japanese or something?
2019-10-23 00:43
no
2019-10-23 00:44
HongKong?
2019-10-23 01:13
 | 
Netherlands n0b8m8 
Please let me know if this story is worth reading Not gonna waste my time since i work hard & make 32k/month
I read it. I dont think its any good, but maybe a lil higher than 58.
Really in highschool?
I think its well structured, but some of your arguments are kinda pointless, and your teacher probably doesnt like the fact that youre kinda trivializing sexual harrassment :) Should have gotten 68 though.
2019-10-23 00:51
I don't know he is usually a pretty lax teacher I'll probably check out what my classmates got cause most of them are pretty 2 iq also kinda stupid if he takes away points for having a different opinion on sexual harassment.
2019-10-23 00:53
for high school its kinda good. id give a 74
2019-10-23 01:04
JW | 
United States Deso1ation 
This is below average work. Apart from the countless grammar errors and the flawed logic, you typed the essay using 1st person, which is a big no in the academic communtiy.
2019-10-23 00:45
ok I guess I deserve a 58 in highschool on an essay rip
2019-10-23 00:47
Typical HLTV mens))). They expect people to be perfect, and they always give people way lower grades than they deserve.
2019-10-23 01:38
JW | 
United States Deso1ation 
better luck next time mens
2019-10-23 03:24
I arent read that
2019-10-23 00:48
idk I though I deserved more than a 58 but people here telling me that my work is horrible I guess I should know have to write like a college student in highschool on level classes
2019-10-23 00:50
 | 
World memyselfandI 
Americans and their stubborn unique measurement of everything, Adapt
2019-10-23 00:51
What do you mean?
2019-10-23 00:54
 | 
World memyselfandI 
Your rating, multiple choice exams, weight and length and so forth.
2019-10-23 00:55
You guys do not have multiple choice exams?
2019-10-23 00:57
 | 
World memyselfandI 
Not during my time in school. I am danish, and here we have a stronger emphasis on creativity.
2019-10-23 00:58
How do they grade you then?
 | 
World memyselfandI 
You write shit about subjects, like you did. But they changed the rating system a bit. Killed the highest rating (13) which was giving for extraordinary/creative work. I guess my nation is unfortunately adapting to education where you are not supposed to think for yourself, but simply give the teacher what they are looking for, and nothing else, as it no longer gets rewarded. Anyway, connections are way more important in most parts of the world than education. Everyone sucks the cock of their neighbor, hoping to get sucked back at some point.
in finland we have
2019-10-23 01:05
Deserve way higher than 58
2019-10-23 00:52
u in highschool?
2019-10-23 00:54
yes I go to a ghetto school tho so my teacher would prob give like a 90 for the essay u wrote
2019-10-23 00:56
Rip man would love to be in ur school
If ive ever have 2 write an easy like this i know where 2 find it now tank u men))
2019-10-23 00:57
Don't man you will get 58
 | 
United States SAMARXD 
The essay seems too casual, that was probably why it was graded so terribly.
2019-10-23 01:06
Turned my grade from a 90 to 85 ):. Usually is a chill teacher don't know why he went full autist on my essay
2019-10-23 01:07
 | 
United States SAMARXD 
Tough. I used to go to a private school in California and the teachers were willing to help students at all times. Private school probably sounds obnoxious, but it really prepares you for college and the teachers don’t give u F’s without feedback.
2019-10-23 01:11
 | 
China SwooksarV2 
Wait, so is a 58 considered good for the class?
graded out of a 100 max grade
 | 
China SwooksarV2 
Ouch. Yea I read up and that sucks man.
2019-10-23 01:17
 | 
Brazil RAYRELiCK 
i see sexual harassment i remember humongous
 | 
United Kingdom Mattthematt 
What subject is this shit for?
2019-10-23 01:12
Lit comp which is reading/writing
 | 
United Kingdom Mattthematt 
Wtf is that? Pick some good subjects like maths or physics rather than that ass
2019-10-23 08:34
 | 
Netherlands Removed 
Ngl this essay is pretty bad
2019-10-23 01:14
hs or college?
2019-10-23 01:34
 | 
Netherlands Removed 
elementary school
2019-10-23 13:53
 | 
United States LoneTC 
Its fine men, i scored a 61 on my CS Prelim :(
2019-10-23 01:14
IDK what that is but sounds more important than just an research paper in class ):
2019-10-23 01:25
 | 
United States vikingswine 
You deserve nothing above a 70%. AN essay is supposed to be factual and structured. You wrote yours like you were nonchalantly speaking to a friend.
2019-10-23 01:17
First of all bud an essay doesn't have to be factual and structured the definition for an essay is a written topic on something. Anyways I didn't give much info but mine was actually a research paper which the definition of research paper is "A research paper is a piece of academic writing based on its author's original research on a particular topic, and the analysis and interpretation of the research findings."
2019-10-23 01:24
 | 
That did not read like a research paper. Citing one source in your intro does not at all count.
2019-10-23 01:28
actually true I agree with this one Idk just we were supposed to use articles made by college students and all of them were some liberal propaganda lmao I think I got too into the writing and started talking about ways on how to fix the problem.
2019-10-23 01:31
I am not a native speaker and even I can tell how poorly written it is. You write like you are having a conversation with your friend and you are just making shit up. E.g. "If you haven’t noticed there has been a lot of more sexual harassment cases in the news lately. " Do you think this is how scientists write? "yo in case you didn't know there obviously are a lot of new planets popping up recently. but why is what we are asking?"
2019-10-23 02:02
Cause this is supposed to be a speech to my class
2019-10-23 02:03
But it's still terrible. You don't say stuff like "if you haven't noticed" and "there has been a lot of news about X". A professor wouldn't talk like that either. If you make a claim you have to base it on something. And how is it relevant whether people have noticed it? And that's just one sentence I randomly picked. Another example: "Finally, the most important question of the day “Is Sexual harassment overexaggerated? With all these allegations is it a wide-spread problem that we should be focusing all our media coverage on? Personally, in these situations I like to look at some statistics that can give me a better insight on how much a problem is happening. Though, not for this situation because it seems the statistics on sexual harassment are a little bit iffy." This makes no fucking sense. Why is it the most important question? Also then you ask two slightly different questions. Then you say that looking at statistics gives you insights but then the next sentence you argue against yourself and claim that statistics are "iffy". wtf? It reads like comedy.
2019-10-23 02:13
professor? Anyways, that is my thesis if you didn't notice "but even with all of this wide-spread publicity is sexual harassment over exaggerated and are all the statistics factually correct?". Those two sentences were included because in most cases statistics give you good insight on most problems but not for this situation which was clearly said by those two sentences. Maybe you should get a better understanding of English before critiquing someone else's?
2019-10-23 02:18
If your task was to research and talk about a topic then you should end up talking about it in a way a professor talks about a topic. The way you write makes it sound like small talk. Also you don't provide any evidence that statistics are false. You only address the issue once: "One of those statistics is that “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed” which even If I am not a female, I know for a fact that those statistics are not true." Which exact statistic are you referring to? You don't even give a source and you simply claim that it's wrong based on your feelings? this is laughably bad.
2019-10-23 02:28
A research paper is a piece of academic writing based on its author's original research on a particular topic, and the analysis and interpretation of the research findings.
2019-10-23 02:29
Yes, and what you wrote doesn't fulfill that at all. You clearly don't use academic writing, and you don't present any findings or analysis either. You just made up a bunch of claims and talked casually about it.
2019-10-23 02:36
k ima stop replying to you since I'm doing homework simultaneously and you are getting kinda fucking annoying but I will admit my essay/speech/research paper isn't the best but for fucks sakes it is not a 58 at least a 70
2019-10-23 02:39
I am not trying to hate on you but trust me, people in academia are the biggest bullies ever. They will tell you in a really nice way that you are an idiot if you make a mistake. I have no clue about the US grading systems and your future plans but in most countries highschool is essentially just trying to prepare people for university. You will basically end up writing the same type of papers over and over again in uni, just that people will be ten times more critical. Your teacher doesn't really do you a favor by giving you a higher grade. Just compare it to sports. Or CSGO actually. Imagine you are a silver learning the game and a global tells you that your movement is really bad. Sure, maybe you can get to gold even with bad movement but at the end of the day you will have to improve if you ever want to get out of gold nova.
2019-10-23 02:53
Also this essay was supposed to be turned into a speech so that is why I'm saying you etc because I am basically talking to my classmates
2019-10-23 01:24
 | 
I too would have failed that paper.
2019-10-23 01:27
Idk I'll just wait tomorrow and see what my classmates grades are maybe because I was not liberal enough lmao and had too much of an opinion?
2019-10-23 01:28
 | 
Are you in highschool or college?
2019-10-23 01:30
highschool
 | 
okay then maybe you get a 70... I am biased because I write upper level college papers
Should have gotten at least a 70. But, the figurative language sounds very forced, and the style doesn't really seem to be "academic" enough.
2019-10-23 01:34
True I didn't know what figurative language I was supposed to put in because he said he wasn't looking for it in the rough draft xd
2019-10-23 01:35
real talk, on a quick skim, you have some serious factual errors in there. #metoo started in 2006? hashtags werent even started in 2006. literally twitter launched in 2006, there was nothing to index, nobody even realized people might want to index tweets in 2006
2019-10-23 01:38
Harvey weinstein committed his rapes around 2006 which is basically what caused the #me too movement
2019-10-23 01:40
buddy hashtags didnt exist in 2006. therefore a movement using a hashtag moniker didnt exist in 2006 "The #MeToo movement started around 2006 and started catching more steam when multiple sexual harassments came out against Harvey Weinstein. More or less the #MeToo movement started as a hashtag on twitter against sexual harassment and assault against women telling them that they are not alone. " this sentence alone invalidates your essay as a factul source, mystery solved
2019-10-23 01:43
In 2006, Burke founded the Me Too movement and began using the phrase "Me Too" to raise awareness of the pervasiveness of sexual abuse and assault in society. The phrase "Me Too" developed into a broader movement following the 2017 use of #MeToo as a hashtag following the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse allegations.
2019-10-23 01:44
but thats not what you said in your essay
2019-10-23 01:45
And???????
you were wondering why is was marked basically wrong, well, mystery solved, your text was wrong.
2019-10-23 01:46
I did not lie about anything I paraphrased my source?
2019-10-23 01:46
you didnt paraphrase. you completely changed the meaning "More or less the #MeToo movement started as a hashtag on twitter against sexual harassment" ""The #MeToo movement started around 2006"
2019-10-23 01:48
# a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that classifies or categorizes the accompanying text
2019-10-23 02:42
This Text is so boring... Teacher prob fellt the same way... You should Insert some jokss on the middle of it, but nicetry
2019-10-23 01:39
schoolwork in bra71l
2019-10-23 02:32
France RAX_ 
LOL school
2019-10-23 01:41
 | 
Bulgaria goatse 
you used the word humankind :D
2019-10-23 01:42
is that not allowed xd?
 | 
Bulgaria goatse 
its -10 points
Wtf in what high school?
 | 
Bulgaria goatse 
idk real men use mankind right?
SEXIST
 | 
Bulgaria goatse 
yikes Xd
2019-10-23 01:49
 | 
United States MaNiHa 
There's a lot of incorrect punctuation as well as poor word choices, and that's also not a particularly scholarly way to start a conclusion.
2019-10-23 01:51
True but you gotta remember I'm in highschool and the end goal of this is supposed to be a speech.
2019-10-23 01:52
Hatz | 
Australia xSanctum 
you have like no sources, and evidence. thats really important, seems kind of informal, but not like the 'appropriate' informalness you can have on speeches, such as rhetorical questions and thought out jokes that stress a point.
2019-10-23 02:01
jokes? tf I have sources and evidence I just didn't include them because it would make it a lot longer
2019-10-23 02:21
Also these are pretty rhetorical You want to know a similar situation to sexual harassment in schools but is different in a surprising way? (Alliteration) Well, if you have not figured it out it’s Sexual Harassment in the workplace. Why, would full grown adults' way past the age of eighteen sexually harass another individual? Why would a superior, someone who is higher than another in the workplace, harass someone with less power in the company even with the repercussions that action may have? (Rhetorical Question) Why don’t these individuals try to “pick someone up” in a place where it won’t cost them their main income?
2019-10-23 02:22
> posts to hltv
2019-10-23 02:20
i didn´t read it but Congratz
2019-10-23 02:29
autist | 
Australia njld2 
deserves higher than 58 but no higher than 70 prob, maybe 75 max
2019-10-23 02:50
autist | 
Australia njld2 
actually prob 75 if its going off of the info and not the essay itself
2019-10-23 02:56
 | 
Australia t0rrent 
Essays suck. School is just for brainwashing kids
2019-10-23 03:34
 | 
Hungary subzera 
you shouldve writed better
2019-10-23 04:21
Your conclusion is ass. Read the first sentence of your essay and it's bad introduction sentence. Your introduction doesn't say what your topic is and your arguments. Your last sentence shouldn't end with a question. It's quite remarkable that you got a 58%.
2019-10-23 04:41
damn feels bad to be a kid these days and have to write about this topics. very happy to have chosen engineering at least I am safe of this crazyness, only the ocasional gender studies major that want to turn a Technical Report writing class into feminism 101
2019-10-23 04:38
 | 
Germany Sonnabend 
I got a 58 on my essay in high school, I don't think I deserve this but it might be my name starts with A and he has done a full loop with his grading and will give everyone less than a 50. This is my essay the whole class had to pick from racy topics. Sexual Harassment in Our Day-To-Day Lives “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed” a quote that originates from a study done by several universities from England and Wales and with the recent rise of female movements there has been more and more public attention given to sexual harassment cases. The public figures that represent this rising movement dictate that sexual harassment is abundant in our society, it is prevalent in our schools, workplaces, and they say that the hashtag MeToo movement has done well by pushing these cases into the public eyes, but even with all of this wide-spread publicity is sexual harassment overexaggerated and are all the statistics factually correct? (Elevated Diction) First, let’s start with an environment that hits closest to home, sexual harassment in our high schools. Usually sexual harassment in high schools stems from raging hormones and frontal lobes not being fully developed which causes an inability for teenagers to regulate their own behavior. Of course, there's also the fact that schooling is part of a teenager's life for seven hours of the day and for most teenagers, their schooling environment is where they get together with people from the other sex. Also, understanding other humans especially the other sex is something people major in and study for years on end and sometimes you can't expect someone who has not even reached college to recognize every social que plus the hormones. Well, when these sexual harassment cases happen it's usually on the school’s responsibility to act and take immediate action but sometimes those immediate actions are not as clear as they should be. Such as when Sam McNair, seventeen, gave his teacher a friendly hug which in turn got him suspended for a whole calendar year of school or when a five-year old boy was suspended for slapping a five-year-old girl’s bottom. Personally, I do not think anyone should get suspended for a whole calendar year because of a hug or a five-year old who probably does not even have a grasp of what sexual harassment is. If he did then his parents should probably be the ones in trouble for child neglect. Now, with all these cases what should schools do to stop sexual harassment in their learning environments. Well, the short answer is its complicated. First, it's impossible to stop sexual harassment in our schools without separating both genders and that obviously would cause a mass amount of expenses and probably is not what schools would want to do. Second, if you had to do it without separating genders than you probably would have to change all the social economy in todays’ teenage societies. That means the only thing we can do is to prevent these cases and make it easier for sexual harassment victims to come out which would not just be a PowerPoint that you would show on a Wednesday. With all of that in mind I think we should repurpose the SafeSchool app into making it a place where Sexual Harassment can be reported and advertise it more so we can get more students to get the app. (Charged Diction) Let's get the app downloaded on most teenager phones’ will be hard but maybe with some curriculum nights and maybe some school posters we would be able to do it. Then, with that we can have some harsh consequences on the things that do get reported and that will be a good deterrent for most people looking to do these acts. Overall, if we make it easier for sexual harassment to be reported and make our decisions uptight with some leniency to some of the wacky cases then we can atleast make sexual harassment cases less common. You want to know a similar situation to sexual harassment in schools but is different in a surprising way? (Alliteration) Well, if you have not figured it out it’s Sexual Harassment in the workplace. Why, would full grown adults' way past the age of eighteen sexually harass another individual? Why would a superior, someone who is higher than another in the workplace, harass someone with less power in the company even with the repercussions that action may have? (Rhetorical Question) Why don’t these individuals try to “pick someone up” in a place where it won’t cost them their main income? (Anaphora) Well, it starts off with a myriad of different reasons specific to every situation, but I think there is one that really shines a light on this issue in our workplaces the most. That reason is power, the one thing that we strive for our whole lives either by using money or getting in a political office, power is what the weak and the strong are separated by. Also, that power is why I think we have this problem; the power granted by a top spot in the office causes people to get infatuated with their position above others and what is the point of power if nobody else can gaze at its might. (Periodic sentence) Being in a higher position than someone and sexually harassing them because that other person also wants to get a higher position in that field is very common in today’s media. Especially the film industry who has cases such as Harvey Weinstein, a film producer, who tried to sexually harass many women by luring them in with “free massages”. Now, since we all know about the sexual harassment problem in our workplaces how will work supervisors fix this over encumbering and devastating issue? (Hyperbole) There's a lot of ways you could go about this, but I think first we should start with maybe just maybe having stricter requirements when hiring people for higher up jobs. Then, our workplaces must make sure to have clear sexual harassment laws that everyone in the workplace is aware off. If all our workplaces had these rules intact than maybe, we could finally have less sexual harassment in the workplace. Though, you should remember that sexual harassment in the workplace will never be fully eradicated unless we insert chips into all of societies brains making them devoid of all sexual thoughts but let's hope that never happens. If you haven’t noticed there has been a lot of more sexual harassment cases in the news lately. Though, why now are sexual harassment cases getting more frequent are people just getting lewder or has something changed in society? Well, it's the latter because something has changed in our society and that change is the #MeToo movement. The #MeToo movement started around 2006 and started catching more steam when multiple sexual harassments came out against Harvey Weinstein. More or less the #MeToo movement started as a hashtag on twitter against sexual harassment and assault against women telling them that they are not alone. This hashtag eventually started making these sexual harassment cases be shined into the public eye’s, but is that really a good thing? Is getting the media involved for more awareness a good thing? In the shortest possible answer that I can give you that would be a resounding no, and that is due mainly to how the media covers things. Since most media companies are not news outlets but advertising firms, they’d rather get your attention than say what the truth is. Most of the time they’ll come to a conclusion or reasoning to something before the other party actually gives it side which usually happens because these media companies know people can’t be happy without knowing the full reason of an occurrence in their life. If they are a more liberal media outlet then they would probably take the more liberal side which is also same for the right. Now, let’s stop with all this news outlet coverage what about the actual important media in our lives, social media? Well, if you didn’t know social media will be social media so of course they will for most of the times take a side before getting to know the other side, I mean we’ve all done it and we all know it's easier to stick with that side than not be completely sure about it. Though what I think is more important is the effects social media have on the accused. Right now, anybody here could have their life ruined if they would be accused of sexual harassment. If you have a job, well we’re sorry we are going to have to let you go for downsizing reasons, and there goes any scholarships you have racked up. Oh, and well there goes all your social position in your school because now everyone thinks you’re detrimental to society. You might even be expelled before the case has even finished. We'll all of that shows that there is definitely a problem with social media getting into sexual harassment cases and the detriment it can have on a person’s life before the case has even been resolved. In the world’s eyes people accused of sexual harassment are guilty like men that have been imprisoned for murder. (Simile) Such as recently when the professional footballer, Neymar, got his hands into a nasty setup by a certain individual who accused him of rape and video footage was released of her assaulting him instead. These people target high up individuals because of how much money they can get from these cases of sexual harassment. With all of that in mind, I think the media should not plunge their dirty hands into uneasy cases like sexual harassment. (Metaphor) Finally, the most important question of the day “Is Sexual harassment overexaggerated? With all these allegations is it a wide-spread problem that we should be focusing all our media coverage on? Personally, in these situations I like to look at some statistics that can give me a better insight on how much a problem is happening. Though, not for this situation because it seems the statistics on sexual harassment are a little bit iffy. One of those statistics is that “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed” which even If I am not a female, I know for a fact that those statistics are not true. Those kinds of numbers are national crisis-inducing kind of numbers. I mean we can easily disapprove these kinds of numbers by getting a head count, who here has been sexually harassed? While you may think this little white lie may not matter that much but in the long run it really effects our society. I do not really need to point anything out specifically but just try to remember the amount of cases where somebody’s scholarship and their job getting taken away from them because of a sexual harassment case. What the media does is that they keep pressuring these companies into firing these individuals which should not happen at all. People need to remember that sexual harassment is a problem but it is not as bad as “1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed”. Well 2,000 words later sexual harassment is still a problem in our workplaces and our schools, but we shouldn’t have the media to step in and people should not be innocent before guilty. Sometimes, with these kinds of problems it is biologically impossible for humankind to not make moves on other people. Unless, society has advanced to the point where the landscape is widely different sexual harassment will always be in our society. What we can do is try to improve the situations for those victims and make awareness for this ever-growing problem in our society.
2019-10-23 08:39
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.