Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Just quit my job AMA
Other ferric 
Just quit working at Starbucks today. Just going to complete my last 2 weeks of shifts then I am out. ask me anything about it if you'd like. This thread is under "Off Topic" so I felt it would be appropriate to share things here if people were interested.
2020-01-23 21:38
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
why
2020-01-23 21:38
I’ve asked him some questions, I’m interested
2020-01-23 21:39
Small things built up to this, but the last straw was when I went off for vacation for a couple of weeks and made it obvious that I would not be able to access my schedule while I was away. I was not scheduled yet on the day before I left for vacation. When I got back, still very jetlagged from my trip, I looked to see I had been scheduled for 3 weeks DURING college classes and I tried my best to find coverage but could not. I made it clear to my managers that I could not find coverage and that I was scheduled outside of the availability I posted, but they said I would still be held accountable if I didn't show up. I still did the decent thing of showing up until it was time for my class so they would not completely be screwed, but that was the last straw. Also, in general, working a job where you have to deal with people that haven't had their morning drugs (coffee) and you mess something up is not very pleasant. From people that have had multiple retail or fast food jobs, they have said that Starbucks is just like those where you have angry customers, except this time, you have angry customers that haven't even had their morning cup of coffee yet.
2020-01-23 21:44
 | 
Mongolia k0ng0 
Sounds like your boss is an idiot and actually lost an actual intelligent coworker. Your boss is an idiot for not recognizing your value and you will be better off somewhere else where people actually value you. The stupid thing with bosses like this is that they are always going around asking themselves why they Always only gets to hire idiots but fail to recognize themselves as idiots when they fire all the intelligent people, because intelligent people make demands in return for their services and that is something idiot-bosses REALLY can't stand. There is nothing you can do about these bosses because they never listen to anyone but themselves, so if you would tell them this i just told you, they wouldn't listen. Just let idiots be idiots and move on. It's a moment 22 really. Good Luck in future mens))
2020-01-23 22:16
Thanks man, and yeah, one of the two store managers I would say was kinda like how you described. His last text to me was "just call the store man" when I asked him what else I should do since I couldn't find coverage and he did absolutely nothing to assist me. I sent so many texts to him because he was not available to pick up my calls even though his job is to manage the schedules (and believe me from what others have said this guy gets paid WAY more than me yet his job is not a lot more than mine). My other store manager didn't really help me either and pushed it on the assistant manager who said what I told you above, other than that, she was a good store manager, but like I said, this one thing was just the final nail in the coffin for me.
2020-01-23 22:19
 | 
Mongolia k0ng0 
I totally understand you. It's good though to fight through different kinds of "foot-jobs" because you learn to thoughen Up and that is Good for future jobs and university aswell. Makes you value good Jobs when you have had really shitty ones. Good luck in life man, always do your best then noone can hold anything against you.
2020-01-23 22:24
How old are you. What are going to do next?
19, college student. I was 17 when I started working here and was originally going to quit working aafter I saved money to build a PC, but after I did that, having money for myself was a nice thing so I stayed working part time while in school. I plan on studying for now. Going to ignore a job for now.
2020-01-23 21:45
Okay, interesting) Where do you study?
2020-01-23 21:53
University of Connecticut. Public University in my state for my undergrad and I plan on getting a Masters after I get my BSE.
2020-01-23 21:55
Cool! So is the studying interesting for you? Do you have any regrets regarding your choice of university?
2020-01-23 21:58
Yes, the studying will be interesting, but for now It is mainly general education classes. For the field that I chose, as long as I go to a decent college that has a decent Engineering program, I am fine. What will matter more is where I go for my masters.
2020-01-23 22:00
 | 
China SwooksarV2 
Nice!
2020-01-23 22:00
tabseN | 
Europe oofmens 
didnt get paid well?
The pay is minimum wage, and for the things I explained in #6, minimum wage is not satisfactory for me for this job. There are some decent benefits, but I have no use for them (health insurance + education) Those two benefits are not useful for me because I already have free healthcare as part of a state program for low-income families and I already go to university off of federal student aid. The only other benefits are: -Free drinks all day while you are at work -1 free lunch item every shift -1 free pound of coffee every week -Free spotify premium -Bean stock (Restricted stock units granted every year which then take another year to vest) So far it seems like you get 2 restricted stock units every year which take a year to vest and you must be working at starbucks during that year otherwise they won't vest. once they vest, you can put them in your personal fidelity account and 2 shares totals to about $170 USD
2020-01-23 21:48
 | 
China SwooksarV2 
Just make yourself the most expensive drink like once every hour. Ez profit.
2020-01-23 22:01
I mean, the more expensive it is, the more disgustingly fattening and sugary it is. But yeah I did make myself a few $7 drinks once only to try it a little, not like it and throw it out. It didn't cost me anything and I felt bad, but ever since then the only drinks I drink there are: -Water -Honey Citrus Mint Tea (actually feels nice on your throat and good if you have a cold) -Espresso (Works like coffee, but I don't have to endure the taste of coffee for as long, just the aftertaste of the espresso)
2020-01-23 22:05
 | 
Germany MackyGee 
why
 | 
Finland darkyf1 
this is off 'off topic' but what's your favorite coca cola flavour
2020-01-23 21:46
Water
2020-01-23 21:50
 | 
Finland darkyf1 
that's not an answer my friend
2020-01-24 12:39
idk, just regular coca cola I guess?
2020-01-24 14:15
 | 
Finland darkyf1 
that's a lot better, thx
2020-01-24 16:26
 | 
Germany Jixxahh_CS 
yeah that's not a real job
2020-01-23 21:47
Facts
2020-01-23 21:49
 | 
Germany Jixxahh_CS 
what are you studying ?
Gender Studies jokes.... I'm studying Computer Science and Engineering
2020-01-23 21:51
 | 
Germany Jixxahh_CS 
Nice, don't quit CS like some of my friends did. I have been working as a software developer for 6 months and it's great so far, pay is good aswell
2020-01-23 21:52
Trust me, I am never going to back out of it. It's been my passion since 6th grade and I even took an AP Computer Science class in high school and I was hooked. I am also gifted when it comes to understanding math quickly so I feel like this is the perfect choice for me. And yeah, the pay as well as the fact that there are so many job opportunities is a nice added touch to it.
2020-01-23 21:54
 | 
Germany Jixxahh_CS 
That's great to hear! Good luck on your path!
Thanks man and you too!
2020-01-23 21:56
Did people ask you to write funny names on their coffee cups?
2020-01-23 21:47
Mostly, people just ask me to write their names, but I can remember one time, someone told me to write "Black Lives Matter" on their cup.
I hope you wrote "All Lives Matter" onto it))))
Nah, this was last year and I didn't wanna get fired))
2020-01-23 21:51
Unlucky)))
 | 
Finland Smoonah 
did you write Pig or any other offensive word to the cops
Haha I remember seeing that online. The only time I didn't write someone's name on a cup was when they told me to write "Black Lives Matter"
 | 
Finland Smoonah 
lol
2020-01-23 21:58
NEO | 
Poland AntOOr 
did you spit into someone's coffee?
Nope
NEO | 
Poland AntOOr 
best thing ever couldbe done in this kind of job and you didn't do it. Shame mens((((((
Nah, I feel like not all the customers are bad people. Some are very nice and care about you (or at least they do a good job of acting it out if it is acting) so I'd rather not be an ass
did u wash ur hands?
Of course bro, company policy. Just because I have complaints about the job, doesn't mean I'm going to harm other people
You cannot lose a job if you do not have one like me 1000iq
2020-01-23 21:53
Big brain plays
Yeah even though i think it is time for me to get a job i am 20 and applying soon but do not want to work in mcdonalds or anything i want office job 9-5
2020-01-23 21:56
Of course man and I would say definitely try to get that office job. Working at a fast food company before you get a real job should only be a thing if you want a quick buck to get something fast, then get out of there as fast as possible without screwing them over. Take it from me, I should have quit shortly after I built my PC, but the money looked too good and pulled me in for much longer and I have some regrets now, but I am glad I did it now before it actually started to affect me more.
2020-01-23 22:02
Fair enough and yeah that is why i never worked in fast food i never needed the money but have to work now as i am out of education and 20
2020-01-23 23:51
Czech Republic Wer_ 
I feel you bro, I started working in a logistic company when I was 18 and quit when I was 20, things became dull and repetitive so I quit, now I feel more free... But it wasn't a bad job
2020-01-23 21:54
 | 
China SwooksarV2 
Best of luck to your future studies. Jiayou!
2020-01-23 22:04
Xiexie :)
2020-01-23 22:06
Have a great study fellas!
2020-01-23 22:06
Thanks feller
2020-01-23 22:07
No problem ferric
2020-01-23 22:07
 | 
Korea XigNw0w 
Understandable, I wouldn't want to work there either, seems like a shit job honestly. Do you have actual people who clean it or do regular workers clean it up?
2020-01-24 14:13
Nope, we clean up. No one else comes in and does it. We clean, make drinks, talk to customers, run the drive-thru, make orders, keep inventory, and hold meetings.
2020-01-24 14:16
 | 
Korea XigNw0w 
I understand most of them, but it's just so ridiculous that evening/morning workers have to clean it up. I understand those meetings, inventory is kinda odd honestly, drive-thru etc. Is understandable as well. It's not that expensive to hire some local firm to clean up the place.
2020-01-24 14:20
ask you anything? are you going to answer anything?
2020-01-24 14:17
Pretty much yeah. It's not like I have any confidential information about the company lol. As long as it's relevant to the topic.
2020-01-24 14:36
OK dude, here we go: question 1: what if your new job was at another coffeeshop. and they had a new floor with white and black tiles (lets say 20cm x 20 cm) and your new boss told you, ok dude, welcome to your new job, you will make 6x more money here BUT you are only allowed to walk on the black tiles. If you miss you are fired. How long would you be able to do this and yould you accept it in the first place? question 2: The piece of skin between balls and anus is officially called: PERINEUM. But what if there was no name for it yet and you had to make up a name for it. What would you name it? question 3: If you were buttnaked and unarmed in a sealed off concrete room with no doors and/or windows (dont ask me how you got in) (only a small air vent on the ceiling thatis 30 meters high) and you had to do a fight till the death against 2 adult healthy wild agressive wolves, would you win or lose? Be honest plz question 4: If you were buttnaked and unarmed in a sealed off concrete room with no doors and/or windows (dont ask me how you got in) (only a small air vent on the ceiling thatis 30 meters high) and you had to do a fight till the death against 13 adult healthy dwarfs who are super agressive, would you win or lose? Be honest plz question 5: What if you had to choose between A: NEVER MASTUBATE AGAIN for the rest of ur life or B: NEVER FINGERBANG SOMEONE ELSE for the rest of ur life, what would you choose? question 6: What if you find 1 magic pill that can cure terminal cancer of 2 very close relative but, if you take it urself, you would age 3 times as slow as normal people (so you can reach the age of 200+ years). and nobody knows about it (and there is only 1 pill that cannot be duplicated). would you take it yourself or would you give it to the 2 relatives? question 7: what if people offered you 3 million euro. but you have to eat a soup spoon full of poo from a sick cat with herpes and aids on LIVE INTERNATIONAL TV. and every single human on the planet is forced to watch it. and you will be forever known as that guy who ate cat poo that had aids in it for 3 million euros on live TV. and the whole world would recognise you for this for the rest of your life. would you do it? (dont worry unlimited aids medicines will be provided for free) question 8: what if some superhacker was sitting next to you and hacked all of the international TV stations for 1 minute and quickly pointed the camera on you. what would you say or do? question 9: what if you were in a madagascar jail for 10 months. with only rats to eat. You are almost dead. but then a you get a new cell mate who all of the sudden pooped out a snickers (without the wrapper) that he put in his A-hole before going in jail. and then he instantly dies after he pooped it out. would you eat the snickers? question 10: what if you are forced to live in central germany (I know the horror) and had to choose between wearing ONLY a t-shirt and the same pair of underwear for the rest of your life or wear 5 eskimo jackets for the rest of ur life, what would you choose? question 11: would you eat a hand full of MJ's (RIP) pubic hair for 10.000 euro (nobody accept a few friends and ur whole familly would know about this)? question 12: If you had to choose between having a Girlfriend who had 3 titties or a girlfriend who had 5 titties. what would you choose? question 13: if you had to choose between amputate your left butt cheek (and NO THERE WILL BE NO REPLACEMENT). or amputate all of your left toes and your left ear and your left nosehole will be closed forever. what yould you choose? question 14: IF there was a matrass that makes you sleep for 6 days in a row. and when you wake up it is the best sleep you ever had and you feel amazing and more rested then ever before in your life, BUT you aged 6 weeks instead of just 6 days. how many times would you sleep on that matrass during your life? question 15: what if you didnt choose to work for starbucks back then, but instead choose to loan a small amount of money from mom and dad (100 bucks) to register a business and created a webshop and then imported videogames straght from the manufactor. would you have more money right now? question 16: what if someone offered you 5000 US dollars, but if you accept you can NEVER ever fart again. Would you do it? Would you take the 5000? of is the fun of being able to fart worth more then 5000 us dollar to you? question 17: what if you had a personal slave for 1 week (dont worry, the slave is being paid 500.000 euro by a wealthy sheik, so he not actually a real slave, but to you he is). What yould you instruct him to do? question 18: what if someone told you: he dude, I know it sounds strange, but if I am allowed to tattoo a huge penis on your face but you can never cover it up or remove it and in exchange for you to become 120 years old, ur future wife will also be 120 and ur kids will be 120 too. Also they will NEVER get sick and they are all very heathy and super succesfull and happy in life,. would you tattoo the penis on your face or not?
2020-01-24 15:35
Shit, that's a lot to think about. I have to leave for work in a bit so I'll try to answer them once I am back/tomorrow.
2020-01-24 21:08
ur not a man of ur word?
2020-01-28 23:10
I mean I'm quitting but I put my two weeks notice in. I am finishing these last 2 weeks of shifts then I am done. I'd screw over people that I genuinely liked working with if I left without notice and I'd be missing out on two weeks of pay, tips, and accruing some more paid vacation time
2020-01-28 23:32
how much did you make a month and how was your shifts?
2020-01-24 15:37
I didn't work a consistent amount of hours a month, but the pay was around $11 an hour before the social security + medicare tax was taken out (probably $9.50 an hour after that) My shifts weren't the worst things, but I definitely preferred closing shifts because there were less customers, less rushes as a result, and closing in general seems to have more of an end goal rather than just keep working till it's time for you to leave.
2020-01-24 21:10
and which state were you living in if you don't mind me asking
2020-01-24 23:32
Connecticut Minimum wage here increased to $11 an hour this past November up from $10.10 an hour.
2020-01-25 13:52
thanks man
2020-01-25 13:53
 | 
United States EmperorTrump 
Working at Starbucks > Being homeless
2020-01-24 16:32
Good thing I still live with my parents until I move on campus.
2020-01-24 21:10
You found new job?
2020-01-24 21:09
No but this weekend (today, Saturday and Sunday) I will be looking at places. I think I want to work at like Staples or T-Mobile or Best-Buy or something rather than fast food part time until I get my degree.
2020-01-24 21:11
 | 
United States EmperorTrump 
Working at T-Mobile is hell. I can't imagine explaining tech stuff to complete retards.
2020-01-24 22:12
I already have to do that at home XD Although I'd never call my family that, I have to explain everything and fix everything that doesn't work, so it will be the same except I get paid :P Also it beats having to explain different flavors of coffee when I really don't like the taste of coffee and also don't really notice the difference in acidity or body for different roasts of coffee.
2020-01-25 13:56
working as a supervisor is even worse in those shit places like fast food and starbucks than being a regular employee
2020-01-24 22:14
I mean sure, the shift supervisors have to do a lot more work and only earn a few more dollars hourly than regular baristas, but being a store manager, you make a TON of money compared to your employees. >$60k a year for being a store manager, and while they do have a lot of responsibility, the rest of their job is doing the same things we do as regular baristas. 40 hours a week for $60k is not bad for a position you can work your way up to, and people that are store managers at Starbucks are very happy with their job.
2020-01-25 13:54
Sprout
PACT
Stepback
Sigma
North
forZe
Bet value
Amount of money to be placed
Winning
Odds total ratio
-
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.