Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Small Business Obsession
Happy | 
United States KinglyFish 
Why the fuck do people care so much about small businesses? I've never seen any of these places pay more than a chain store for unskilled labor, in fact they usually pay the state minimum wage. If you're just a worker you'll 100% be better off with 3-4 national conglomerates in legitimate competition with each other and no small businesses.
2020-05-22 17:17
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
 | 
United States B0b3rT
To support the people not the corporations
2020-05-22 17:18
21 replies
People should be focusing on what's best for them. If their small business does well I guarantee most small business owners won't give you a raise, they'll buy their family a vacation home. Just go where you're paid the best.
2020-05-22 18:22
18 replies
well there's a saying, people work for people, some wokers might get paid more at amazon than at your local greasy spoon diner but that doesn't mean they get treated with respect or given leeway with things like sick leave or family issues and that kind of shit
2020-05-22 18:49
7 replies
Dude I've seen so many cases of small business owners not giving a shit if their employees need to go home for personal reasons, they need to finish their shifts or they're fired.
2020-05-22 18:56
6 replies
I mean I can really say otherwise since you didn't really give an example but I can assure you the overwhelming majority of small businesses, especially family owned ones are a lot more amiable than that, especially where I live, they can't afford to treat them like tools since a lot of low level/ minimum wage jobs are springing up quicker than people can fill them
2020-05-22 19:48
5 replies
Isn't small businesses fighting for the minimum wage to not be increased? Why would that be the case if they're paying their employees well and treating them well? I think your area is just the exception to the rule. Costco and even Amazon Warehouse jobs pay way better than most small businesses.
2020-05-23 04:54
4 replies
well pretty much every business owner, either corporation or a mom & pop store is fighting against the wage increase, my point was that a lot of smaller businesses need to treat their workers like people because wages are so similar on lower levels, especially when extra benefits besides wage are factored in
2020-05-23 05:11
3 replies
A lot of larger corporations aren't because they already pay their workers above min wage and they know it'll wipe out any existing competition from small businesses. Most small business owners during good times pay their workers min wage, then drive around in a BMW they probably shouldn't have bought. Of course relying on "community pride" to keep people going to their store which is priced higher than it should be.
2020-05-23 05:16
2 replies
tf are you talking about and where tf do you live? literally the only way small businesses can survive is through competition, go to literally any family/ locally owned store/ restaurant by me and i can guarantee it would be cheaper than 90% of chain shit you'd find elsewhere
2020-05-23 06:35
1 reply
Dude I think this is just the case where you live. Since when was Walmart more expensive than local stores? Why would anyone shop at Walmart if their local store was cheaper? Chain stores have to be cheaper or no one would shop there ever.
2020-05-23 07:54
What's best for you doesn't mean it's best for the other one.
2020-05-23 11:10
9 replies
The small business owners will do what's best for them too, why should you deny yourself the same?
2020-05-23 11:11
8 replies
Because diversity of the market is the best and your baiting claim can be watered down to dictatorship of a few.
2020-05-23 11:19
7 replies
"dictatorship of a few" I'm not saying this at all, if you have a new idea and want to start a business around it, then you should do it and supplant the current players in the market. What I'm saying is 100,000 generic lawn care businesses aren't efficient because their services aren't unique from each other or innovative.
2020-05-23 11:21
6 replies
That's competiton and taking a risk, if it's not efficient it will regulate itself down.
2020-05-23 11:25
5 replies
People love local businesses so they'll continue to shop at them even if they cost more and the product is inferior. It's not a legitimate competition based on who can offer a quality product for the lowest price. It's people subsidizing an inferior product based on personal feelings.
2020-05-23 13:48
4 replies
Inferior product???? Home depot sells a Dewalt drill for 19.99 Bobs local hardware store sells it for 22.99. Explain how that inferior product????
2020-05-23 14:22
3 replies
I'll revise it to inferior product or costs more for literally no reason. It suits my argument either way.
2020-05-23 14:25
2 replies
Small business = 5 min drive , u walk in the owner knows ur name , smaller lines , less people Big box store = longer drive , tons of people , long lines , etc The small business is a convenient store. If a need a gallon of milk I will hit up the corner store not a super market If I need a screw driver I will hit up the local hardware store not run to Home Depot. It’s a convenient thing over value
2020-05-23 14:35
1 reply
Well if you prefer convenience over cost go for it dude. Tons of people exclusively go to the small business because they know the owner and they want to support "local business".
2020-05-23 14:37
So who are corporations? Robots? Aliens?
2020-05-23 10:03
+1
2020-05-24 12:34
Economy? Are you dumb? Or are you trolling
2020-05-22 18:24
3 replies
Are you dumb dude? There'll be no GDP loss if those sales are taken by larger companies.
2020-05-22 18:24
2 replies
LMFAO
2020-05-23 02:42
1 reply
GDP just tracks an exchange of money. Eventually that money will be spent on a yacht instead of an obnoxious G-wagon. No difference in GDP though.
2020-05-23 04:56
Because small and mid sized businesses employ the majority of the workforce
2020-05-22 18:25
25 replies
The thing is it'll be a lot more efficient if it's taken care of by 3-4 conglomerates competing with each other. They'll pick up most of those jobs if they have 100% market share, but some will be lost. Should some job loss stand in the way of progress?
2020-05-22 18:28
24 replies
if it's more efficient they why don't they already control the whole market? SMEs are often startups and/or highly specialized companies.
2020-05-22 18:30
23 replies
Dude there's no way start ups and high specialized companies employ such a large portion of the work force. A lot of small business are just generic stuff like lawn care or at most a small scale construction company. Or they run a grocery store that's priced slightly higher than the local chain store for no justifiable reason. Dude small businesses are being replaced as is. Companies like Amazon are growing rapidly.
2020-05-22 18:32
22 replies
Being local can be a type of specialization. Not sure what your point is. It's just economics. If small businesses were all unprofitable they wouldn't exist. In capitalism you don't really need a "justifiable reason", the whole point is basically that the market balances itself out. Also large companies aren't always better. They tend to become inefficient/overly bureaucratic, poorly managed and lack innovation... Amazon used to be small and had to compete against larger retailers and tech companies.
2020-05-22 18:38
9 replies
Amazon is a tech company pushing a new way to deliver products (or was new in the 90s). It's really not the same as Steve's lawn care business or Joe's grocery store. And dude small businesses are being replaced quickly. I don't think a nationwide, standardized, and cheap lawn care business would too bad. Sometimes in capitalism something isn't efficient just because it's there, it's that no one's challenged it yet.
2020-05-22 18:42
8 replies
But look at how dominant Walmart was in the US. I bet 20 years ago you'd have laughed at me for claiming that some website that sells books online will be just as big (or bigger) as them. Also IBM and later Microsoft used to be far bigger tech companies but lost out to Google, Amazon... It really depends on the industry. E.g. small retail businesses will probably disappear over time but you will have small companies in other industries or indirectly related to it.
2020-05-22 18:50
7 replies
I don't have a problem if you're doing something new like I said. But, why are you drawing a comparison between Amazon and Walmart and these generic, dime a dozen lawn care companies
2020-05-22 18:51
6 replies
My point is that if you look at economic history it seems like big companies come and go. It's not like they are all getting bigger and bigger until there is just one (which would be bad). And lawn care companies aren't the only small businesses. Also, as I said, they might be specialized. Think of it as luxury. There are some people that are willing to pay someone to have that perfect garden with the perfect lawn. So it's just a service. Kind of like you can book your holidays online with a big company or you can go to some travel company where they organize everything for you but it costs extra if you want an individual trip.
5 replies
Lawn care isn't specialized in America bro, you'd be shocked how lazy Americans are about mowing their lawns lol. Small businesses as a whole employ too many people for the majority of their business to be specialty goods, it just doesn't make any sense.
2020-05-22 19:02
4 replies
if they employee "too many people" then how can they exist? it's a free market economy.
2020-05-22 19:30
3 replies
Just because it's a free market economy doesn't mean anything. Walmart could've existed in the 1800's, it's literally just an oversized store. But, instead most stores back then were localized. Just because something exists doesn't mean it's efficient.
2020-05-23 04:48
2 replies
> Just because something exists doesn't mean it's efficient. yes it does. or are you saying we should have a planned economy / communism?
2020-05-23 11:50
1 reply
Do you just call everything you don't like communism lol? ">Just because something exists doesn't mean it's efficient. yes it does" Imagine actually believing the market is perfectly efficient lmao. Things are displaced and change all the time because it is not perfect dude.
2020-05-23 13:38
What you're not realizing here is that industries aren't stagnant nor permanent, and therefore not companies either. Your entire idea here is based on the premise that society and the economy are not going to evolve hugely in the coming decades. Small business owners, startups are what drive the economy forward.
2020-05-22 18:58
11 replies
Dude why does everyone associate start ups with small businesses. The vast majority of small businesses aren't innovative start ups. If you really can't justify the existence of 100,000 generic lawn care businesses nationwide (I know I can't), then why even disagree with me?
2020-05-22 19:00
10 replies
I don't have to, the consumers do. The wonderful thing about the market is that if you're running an industry inefficiently then incentives are created to overrun it. Why do you think I have a small grocery store on my street when the streets next to it have one 7eleven each and one of the two largest supermarket chains each? If everyone on my street were better off going to 7eleven it would close down, and if it were profitable for 7eleven to buy it they would.
2020-05-22 19:12
5 replies
Unless the small grocer is selling specialty goods, you aren't going to him out of a sense of local pride? Of course you are, there's no practical reason to choose him out a large, cheaper chain market. Unless he's selling a specialty good like I said.
2020-05-23 04:50
4 replies
They do, it's closer and I know them. It's the place I go to late on a tuesday night if I suddenly crave something. All that's specalization. Monetary factors is only a part of economics, we tend to value other things just as much.
2020-05-23 10:01
3 replies
So you are going to him because you know him basically. Dude that kind of thing only exists in small towns. Society is getting more and more urbanized and most people don't know their local grocer. So they're gonna choose the cheap chain store.
2020-05-23 10:08
2 replies
No, I also gave you two other reasons. Even still, that argument does also apply to most of your small town lawn care businesses. There is more to economics than monetary values. I live in central Stockholm btw
2020-05-23 10:11
1 reply
#73 People work long hours because there's an endless supply of pointless jobs and inefficient systems. Startups are fine, but Joe the generic grocer just adds to this inefficiency.
2020-05-23 10:28
Since you've identified that the lawn industry is run inefficiently, then why don't do anything about it? If you could become Jeff Bezos of lawn care then that's an incentive I'd respond to.
2020-05-22 19:27
3 replies
 | 
Albania sporoloo
+1 crying in internet gets nobody nowhere
2020-05-23 12:48
2 replies
I don't think he was crying. I was just trying to out point that people respond to incentives. If there was massive money to be made there then you can be sure someone would have done something about it already,
2020-05-23 14:26
1 reply
 | 
Albania sporoloo
Yeah, I could have read your post more carefully. Coming from a crappy community has left it's mark and I haven't gotten rid of old habits yet. After reading this thread bit more it seems like there is actually conversation and plenty of good points, which I'm not too used to see. There might very well be plenty of money to be made in lawn industry, if it is as inefficient as implied, but that would also require either lots of capital, or something that really makes your company stand out in middle of lots of competition. Not sure how much profit there is to be made, unlike in drug business for example, as manufacturing is cheap af but prices can be brought really high. There is also reason to suspect, that some companies are hiring illegal immigrants way below avg rates, which screws up legit companies a bit. So gaining capital through ground maintenance might not be easy at all, as your rates should be able to compete with others. Not too attractive for most of the people who could be capable of making something big out of it, but someone who is really passionate about gardening could even try to go for it. Seems to me that lawn mowing industry in US is where it should be, even if it's not as efficient as it could be if we were robots. It's an job opportunity for people, whom are not too capable of more demanding tasks, and those who are not cutting their own grass will be taken care off. As for other small businesses, they serve their purpose as well. In current situation it could turn out to be quite dystopic scenario if everything was owned and done by big companies with administrations, that has no bounds to either income or greed. Maybe if there was some limit to earnings of private person, but not for company? It would not deny anyone from achieving a better life or prevent companies from expanding.
2020-05-23 15:40
 | 
Europe jigglepeek
small business owner here. you are stupid.
2020-05-22 18:26
13 replies
Truth hurts? Unless you run a specialty store, a small business is inherently inefficient.
2020-05-22 18:28
12 replies
 | 
Europe jigglepeek
i run a specialty store. small business arent inherently inefficient. ever heard of the word bureaucracy?
2020-05-22 18:46
11 replies
Lmao dude. There's a reason larger companies like Amazon are able to undercut small businesses despite their bureaucracy. And I've explained in this thread that bureaucracy is being restructured and automated away eventually: hltv.org/forums/threads/2300228/jobs-aft..
2020-05-22 18:49
10 replies
 | 
Europe jigglepeek
most things sold on amazon are from "small businesses" using amazon marketplace. do you even understand what you are talking about? 0/8.
2020-05-22 18:51
9 replies
... Most brand name things on Amazon are made by large corporations dude. Barely anyone's making stuff and then selling it on Amazon on a small scale. If you're talking about distributors most of those guys do it as a side hustle, you can't really call every side hustle a "small business".
2020-05-22 18:54
2 replies
 | 
Europe jigglepeek
0/8 you are utterly stupid :) have a nice day.
1 reply
Dude you're clueless. If you're not talking about distributors, and you really think random small businesses are making the majority of stuff on Amazon you're delusional.
2020-05-22 18:57
+1
2020-05-23 05:12
5 replies
What kind of weird, specialty shit are you guys buying to the point where you think small businesses manufacture the majority of stuff on Amazon?
2020-05-23 05:18
4 replies
He didn't say manufacture, he said sell
2020-05-23 15:23
3 replies
Ok and I said distribution is usually handled by smaller operations in a comment.
2020-05-23 16:20
2 replies
I bet you hired a small business to move the goalposts for you
2020-05-23 16:24
1 reply
Nah dude I used the UPS.
2020-05-23 16:27
my whole country is basically being run by small businesses. you're clueless
2020-05-22 18:48
1 reply
Just because something is in place now doesn't mean it's inefficient dude. Small business usually do okay because of a regional tradition of supporting local stores. Not because they're out competing a chain store.
2020-05-22 18:50
 | 
Poland FitPolak
In Poland micro and small businesses are generating over 50% of GDP, with medium included its almost 75%, so yes people should care about them.
2020-05-22 18:59
1 reply
#18 It comes down to tradition. Your local grocery shop probably can't compete with a chain store, you just shop there because you know the owner or something.
2020-05-22 19:04
I work for a small business, they pay slightly above minimum wage starting out but I was supposed to get a raise but coronavirus struck.
2020-05-23 04:50
 | 
United States WindyInu
When you buy from a small business, you're not helping a CEO buy a 3rd holiday home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom and dad put food on the table.
2020-05-23 04:56
30 replies
Dude a small town America, local mom and pop mindset isn't competitive. hltv.org/forums/threads/2300228/jobs-aft.. Conglomerates already offer lower prices, but after corporate restructuring and AI they'll be infinitely more efficient than a mom and pop.
2020-05-23 05:04
23 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
I'd much rather support families than help a CEO buy a 4th yacht, to each their own men))
2020-05-23 05:08
22 replies
There'll be less jobs in the future for non-STEM workers because of automation. If you're the average person in the future and struggling to get by are you really gonna stop by at the local grocer which costs more?
2020-05-23 05:10
21 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
yes /closed
2020-05-23 08:15
16 replies
How many local grocery stores exist nowadays outside of small towns? Not many right. Looks like most people don't agree with you even now.
2020-05-23 09:37
15 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
doesn't matter if they agree with me, doesnt change how i feel about it
2020-05-23 09:50
14 replies
90% of people disagree with you. So all these mom and pop shops are gonna get shut down and replaced by same day shipping and warehouses. No jerseys. No dance lessons. It's sad, but it's better this way.
2020-05-23 09:52
13 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
TIL it's better if a few corporations control everything and allow no competition in a capitalist society, gg every economist ever
2020-05-23 09:52
12 replies
The point is they can't compete. Amazon, for example, has lower prices and will be able to deliver everything to your house on the same day in a few years.
2020-05-23 09:55
11 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
hence why corporations shouldn't be allowed to reach such a size, I personally believe corporations shouldn't exist in the first place tbh, but that's many revolutions away (hopefully starting soon, since people are starting to realize capitalism is extremely unstable after corona)
2020-05-23 09:56
10 replies
"I personally believe corporations shouldn't exist in the first place tbh" Who's gonna make your phone, computer, etc...? Dave's computer part shop? Chips are created on the molecular level, they're extremely complex. Why do you care so much about mom and pop shops? What have they done for you?
2020-05-23 09:59
9 replies
 | 
United States WindyInu
I'm talking about the whole system being different, no businesses or corporations at all, everything run/created by the people for the people, like in a communist society
2020-05-23 10:00
8 replies
I prefer capitalism with the fat cut off. No middle managers, minimal HR, relatively small board salaries, large R/D departments, etc... And a large part of the national budget goes towards science and technology R/D not taken care of by the private sector. Entire industries are run by 2-3 competing conglomerates with strict controls preventing them from working together. Communism doesn't work because why would someone learn how to create computer chips at a molecular level with minimal benefit. And mom and pop shops are inherently inefficient, so they shouldn't exist.
2020-05-23 10:05
7 replies
You'll only achieve low administration costs like that in mom n pop stores. As businesses grow they tend to waste a lot more resources. It's inevitable and why expanding companies often fail, because they no longer run efficiently. If mom n pop stores were inefficient they'd also go out of business. You're still making the mistake thinking economic efficiency is determined solely by monetary factors. If that were the case, why would anyone buy an apartment in Manhattan when they could get a much cheaper one in Queens? That's certainly monetarily inefficient yet people still do it. If money were all people cared out about you'd see a rise in demand for Queens apartments until you had an equilibrium price for all housing in the city of New York.
2020-05-23 11:01
6 replies
Most people work in the city and like the shorter commute? Others do it for status. I'm perfectly aware value isn't entirely utilitarian. Larger companies tend to have more efficient supply chains and can manufacture and buy in bulk. Which is why Amazon can still easily undercut local businesses. Even with bureaucracy, large corporations are still more efficient. And if the bureaucracy is decreased, then the advantage between a conglomerate and a small business will be insurmountable.
2020-05-23 11:03
5 replies
Yes, Manhattan housing provides something the Queens counterpart doesn't. We've already acknowledged that the lawn and grocery store industries require specialization too. If the bureaucracy is decreased, then the advantage between a conglomerate and a small business will be insurmountable, sure, but it isn't. Believe me, Jeff Bezos is a productive guy. If he could somehow find a way to stop wasting billions of dollars he would. The more competition, the better, no matter the scale. True societal innovation is sparked on a much smaller basis either way. A few conglomerates won't work for the same reason socialism doesn't, no one plans the direction or specifics of economic progress. They are administrative and bureaucratic by definition.
2020-05-23 11:48
4 replies
Dude I'm not saying anyone isn't allowed to compete with anyone. Small businesses can compete with larger corporations if they want I don't care. The problem I have is they keep out a chain grocery store to make sure Joe the grocer stays in business even though the quality is inferior and the prices are high. If a startup wants to out compete a large, bureaucratic corporation then they absolutely should. People just shouldn't show favoritism based on local pride, let the best win.
2020-05-23 13:55
3 replies
Dude are you Hawaiian or something? Otherwise you must have the most fucked up sleep schedule in existence.
2020-05-23 14:01
2 replies
Yes for now I do. I have this thing where if my sleep schedule gets fucked up I go to sleep 2 hours later each day until I start sleeping at 9 pm. I have some time off to fix my sleep schedule so here we are for now.
2020-05-23 14:05
1 reply
I can relate
2020-05-23 14:16
Have you ever worked in a coprorate environment? If you had youd see that automation, I personally cant see it doing mucn ever really beyond basic tasks. Im an accountant and a few years ago my company rolled out an automated general ledger system to do most of our transactional stuff. Frankly its shit, it cocks up all the time so you spend more time fixing it. IT is really in its infancy corporate uptake has been slow and basic for the most part
2020-05-23 10:28
3 replies
By 2050, basic accounting tasks are probably gonna replaced by artificial intelligence, and that's a very conservative estimate. Of course it's not gonna be perfect now, we're still in early days.
2020-05-23 10:29
2 replies
It’ll be very basic bookkeeping that gets automated, troubleshooting the system and reporting etc will stil have to be done by an accountant
2020-05-24 10:22
1 reply
The automated systems you're using now aren't artificial intelligence. They're just hard coded systems to automated certain basic tasks. An AI can go well beyond that and do actual troubleshooting and can adapt to problems.
2020-05-24 22:38
This is why we love small business. And most importantly we are helping them put food on their childrens table
2020-05-23 10:04
4 replies
The reason people still work long hours is because of inefficient enterprises such as a "small business" that just provides a generic service. Those people can just get another job and still put food on the table. #73
2020-05-23 10:39
3 replies
Sure they can. Why should they when they wanted to build something of their own? If you have something people want to patronize who are you to tell them no go do something else instead. And your ideology while interesting for sure does not value individual freedom enough to be supportable :/
2020-05-23 15:31
2 replies
The thing is no one should be supporting an inferior product on the basis of them being local. People can build whatever business they want. But, are you really building something if people are coming to your business out of pity that a chain store is out competing you?
2020-05-23 16:37
1 reply
I mean if the market has a demand for local then local is good. And as you may see, we really like our local stores. We would rather give our money to the ol Jack and Jill from two blocks over with whose children our children play regularly, with whom we go to the same church and so one, in comparison to supporting some faceless corporation two oceans over
2020-05-24 12:32
 | 
Europe vacban
+1
2020-05-23 14:58
this person thinks that "legitimate competition" exists among billion dollar corporations... that's pretty hilarious have you ever taken an economics course beyond high school? major ""conglomerates"" already control their respective markets. they control the politicians and agencies that create policy for their markets. increasing their market share would just worsen these effects. competition does not exist as you learned in macroeconomics 101 tldr: kill all business owners *in minecraft*!
2020-05-23 05:28
1 reply
 | 
United States WindyInu
+1
2020-05-23 08:15
 | 
United States laiff
reminds me of those doordash youtube ads with the celebrities talking about supporting small businesses 'oRder iN!'
2020-05-23 08:01
people are so dumb bro why do we need jobs when we can just not work and starve to death bro
2020-05-23 09:40
1 reply
Yeah bro let's just employ people in a less efficient system for no reason instead of switching to a more efficient system.
2020-05-23 09:44
I don't give a shit.
2020-05-23 10:13
1 reply
Okay Arthur from Japan.
2020-05-23 10:22
Flag checks out
2020-05-23 10:19
3 replies
How?
2020-05-23 10:21
2 replies
na brain
2020-05-23 10:58
1 reply
French brain.
2020-05-23 10:59
I think that you should combine small companies and create large companies,shares should be given to all stakeholders, so that money and labor are used more efficiently.But this does not benefit anyone because everyone wants to be their own boss.Thats simple They may actually be more rich this way.
2020-05-23 10:40
2 replies
Acquiring all them would cost a lot of money and time. It's more efficient to just run them out of business, which is sadly what companies are doing these days.
2020-05-23 10:49
1 reply
what you say will be with some exceptions. be patient a bit. If big companies are not cowardly, they are deleted from the market. I provided the formula for small companies to survive
2020-05-23 11:01
I run a photo studio for 6 years now and already made profit 2 years ago and it keeps growing every year
2020-05-23 11:21
5 replies
That's fine dude, but do you at least acknowledge if a large conglomerate started competing with you it could offer lower prices with roughly the same quality?
2020-05-23 13:46
4 replies
It's possible but I live in a quite small city ( Dresden ) so the competition is not high. For 2 years I was doing it basically for free just to get some people know about my place, I invested around 25k euro to get this place running.
2020-05-23 13:57
3 replies
Tbh bro all I'm saying in this thread is people shouldn't show favoritism to local businesses on the basis that they're local. If your product is superior than people should come to you, all there is to it.
2020-05-23 13:59
2 replies
The USA would have no auto industry by now if they followed your logic 👌
2020-05-23 16:46
1 reply
Tbh if people stopped buying garbage American cars, then these companies would either close or be forced to produce more reliable vehicles. I could probably buy a '99 Toyota Camry with 150k miles on it and it'll probably still outlast some piece of shit 2020/2021 GMC vehicle. I've seen those old Camry's go for 250k-300k miles, the GMC is done after 80k if you're very lucky.
2020-05-23 16:55
BOOTLICKER O O T L I C K E R
2020-05-23 12:12
1 reply
Lmao what?
2020-05-23 13:44
Low skilled service like lawn-mowing which you mentioned can't scale because the profit margins are tiny. They can't deal with any bloat. Small businesses don't have to spend money on bureaucracy, logistics, marketing etc.. You can't sustain a big company in certain industries.
2020-05-23 14:16
5 replies
And yet the margins are high enough to support the owner's family. Dude the actual reason lawn care in particular (at least in America) is so localized is because almost all of them employ lots of illegal immigrants and pay them well below the minimum wage. You can't do that on a large scale without being sued. To answer your argument, construction companies (even ones that specialize on smaller projects) operate on tiny margins yet aren't dominated by local businesses in many towns.
2020-05-23 14:24
4 replies
Ofc it supports the owners family. Nobody in their right mind would operate a business like a charity. Actual reason lawn care is localized is because being small and local minimizes costs. You are right about the immigrants I give you that. You can actually make a decent profit in construction if you have a good reputation. Good construction engineers and workers are not easily replaceable.
2020-05-23 14:39
3 replies
Dude no, construction has infamously low profit margins. Probably way worse than lawn care. And that money that goes would normally go to an owner couldn't just go to paying a regional manager and a management structure?
2020-05-23 14:40
2 replies
I think you are overestimating how much small business owners make money. Or underestimating how much the added complexity in being bigger adds costs.
2020-05-23 14:48
1 reply
I know some are wealthier some are poorer. It's just that I know smaller construction companies which employed almost exclusively illegal immigrants, and people act like they're some local small business supporting the community. The owner of one of these drove around in a Mercedes Benz G-Wagon and employed no one in the community, and people acted like he owned some local, community run business. The worship is just completely insane.
2020-05-23 16:24
 | 
Europe vacban
ENJOY THAT BOOT SIR!
2020-05-23 15:00
1 reply
Lmao why do you and the other guy think I'm bootlicking?
2020-05-23 16:33
Because giving the power to the few instead to the many and by power I obviously mean wealth is never a good idea.
2020-05-23 15:07
1 reply
The point of the thread is people should just support who offers them the best prices and work for whoever pays them the best. Right now there's some worship of local businesses. If that worship ends I predict business will be much more consolidated until a smaller competitor innovates and disrupts the market.
2020-05-23 16:31
 | 
Russia Drapery
How do you imagine a capitalistic society with only big corporations?
2020-05-23 15:22
2 replies
#197 Maybe the thread wasn't clear, many people are misunderstanding me.
2020-05-23 16:31
1 reply
 | 
Russia Drapery
I don't really get your point tbh. It's small companies that hold the best(small) prices to be able to compete or I don't understand what you mean by best prices.
2020-05-23 17:02
do you get better coffee from starbucks or small cafes? do you get better food from mcdonalds or small restaurants?
2020-05-23 16:40
1 reply
Local restaurants if they're higher quality. I don't just assume they're superior because they're local.
2020-05-23 16:43
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.