Everyday on HLTV I see threads with either "GOAT"/"BOAT" in the title or something similar, referring to an "absolute" being used. Now, most of these threads are bait-threads made to entice other people into flaming or toxicity and the two prime examples of this are either: "s1mple" or "ZywOo" due to both being among the best skill-wise statistically currently. The problem are the words "GOAT" and "BOAT" meaning: Greatest of all Time or Best of all Time.
Here in lies the conundrum...
Forums alike that of HLTV operate on the basis of "OPINIONS", without the basis and premise of opinions, there would be no forum as there would be no debates, topical discussions or generally shared viewpoints. "GOAT"/"BOAT" being absolutes are exempt from opinions, they instil the thought and possibility of a single entity being the absolute greatest of all time/best of all time, therefore negating the premise and use of a forum whatsoever.
There are many different opinions about the use of "GOAT"/"BOAT", it can neither be right or wrong as an absolute. For example, I'm not proposing we scrap the terms altogether, just realise the conundrum before using the terms so often it becomes so commonplace on HLTV. I'm sure we can all agree it's annoying to see the term everywhere all over topics, being used as bait and the like... It's unfair to everybody on HLTV.
Opinions can either be collective opinions, or professional opinions.
- Public opinions are commonplace and widespread amidst the entire forum. It's the public opinion which drives the forum, as everybody on HLTV is entitled to their own opinion, therefore making their mark on the forum as a whole.
- Group opinions share the same ideology of the aforementioned but is generally discussed as a group. A comment getting several "+1's" is the basic premise of a group opinion on HLTV, people will either agree with your opinion or disagree with your opinion; yet again this being the driving force of a well-functioning forum platform.
GOAT/BOAT go against the aforementioned principals...
It's impossible to label just one person a "GOAT"/"BOAT" because it would be impractical and improbable to determine just one contender due to the amount of variables that would be needed. Bearing in mind in certain circumstances it may be possible but practically most of the time there can only be contenders for the role, not a guaranteed person indefinitely.
There can be no intelligent, reasonable, fair discussion if users are going to start throwing the term "GOAT"/"BOAT" around like it's going out of fashion... It's a fair, respectable opinion to have but it's not absolute as fact, it's an opinion exactly like the two principals mentioned earlier.
- Stop using s1mple, ZywOo or any professionals as targets to make bait-like topics labelling either as "GOAT"/"BOAT" purposely to start flame-wars.
- There will never be a fair discussion to be had if you use an absolute, you are entitled to your own opinion and that will be respected. There can only be contenders for a general consensus, not one single, individual absolute.
- It's perfectly fine to think a player is the "GOAT"/"BOAT" as fanaticism but that doesn't make it factual either.
- There is absolutely no reason why we cannot be nicer to one another on HLTV, it's the difference of opinions which make us unique as human beings... Users are allowed to have another opinion opposing another and that shouldn't make them wrong or right (within context depending on the discussion, of course...).
- If you're going to use or utilise the term, please state it's your opinion beforehand as there can be no discussion otherwise.
Thank you for reading and I wish you all a good day.