This is a metaphor. Either you retire as a legend or you increase day by day the chance of you damaging the image others have of you. I'll list a few examples:
- coldzera hasn't changed styles/performance, the teams did - yet, he is not even considered to be TOP1 contender again.
- f0rest and get_right: highly regarded as the best ever, are seeing now as washed up by many
- NiP brand
- MIBR brand
- fnatic brand
On the other side of it, we have:
- Gambit: a fluke that seized to exist but still cherished by many.
- Skadoodle, n0thing: They were never top performers, but no one dares to say that they are not legends. If you cross results with anyone playing now, they have less achievements but will be remembered as better than most of the rest
- LG/SK: Still legends, despite the same team losing performance using another brand like no other team ever did