Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Strategy games
Russia Water_Bottle 
I want to explore new gaming genre and I want to try strategy games. Where should I start ? I was thinking maybe Sid Meier’s Civilization VI or crusader kings 3, what do you think ? Are they hard to get into if you're a complete noob to these kind of games ?
2021-03-13 19:47
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
chess may be
2021-03-13 19:47
1 reply
I used to play chess and was pretty decent, like 2000 elo on lichess but stopped long time ago
2021-03-13 19:49
Hearts of Iron 4
2021-03-13 19:48
3 replies
 | 
Reunion Esquinox
+1
2021-03-13 21:16
Where is the strategy tho?
2021-03-13 21:31
1 reply
strategic bombing
2021-03-13 23:00
crusader kings 2 > crusader kings 3 if u have dlc its not even remotely close yes some of them can be a bit hard if youre new to the genre but the payoff is incredible
2021-03-13 19:48
4 replies
So I should play second one first ?
2021-03-13 19:50
3 replies
yes ck2 base game is free on steam though i would very much recommend getting the dlc subscription it costs like nothing ck3 has a lot of potential but almost no content right now i imagine its gonna be a great game in like 2-3 years
2021-03-13 19:52
 | 
Czech Republic Korenus
ck2 is for free so it wont hurt trying it out. But for me who never played CK before CK3 came out i tryed to play CK2 to decide if i wanna buy CK3 (after seeing CK3 video and I liked it) and i found CK2 so much confusing that i straight bought CK3 :D So dont be scared if you have same problem CK2 is much more complicated for newbie than CK3 watch some videos on YT maybe to get a good idea of the game.
2021-03-13 20:24
1 reply
 | 
Czech Republic Korenus
Also CK3 is new so the content will come in next DLCs and mods from community so the game will only get better by time.
2021-03-13 20:25
try Red Alert
5 replies
Too old
2021-03-13 19:59
1 reply
but still good
2021-03-13 20:01
Damn I miss the game from my childhood :D
2021-03-13 21:21
2 replies
actually u can play it
2021-03-13 21:26
1 reply
Yeah, bur after so many years it won't impress me. I just want to keep it as a good memory. The only game I repeated after years was wc3
2021-03-13 22:55
 | 
Czech Republic poledne
it dipence on what type of strategy games oyu like ... do oyu like games where you build caste? stronghold is great wherer you build empire try age of empires or rise of nations realy hard strategy games with ral world .. try eu4 great game just really hard and expensive or try heroes of might and magick 3/5
1 reply
I don't know what I want, it's a new genre for me I want to try something good
2021-03-13 20:00
State of survival, Good game just pass the tutorial then very good.
2021-03-13 19:51
EU4
1 reply
 | 
Brazil legitinho
+1
2021-03-13 23:05
warcraft 3
spellforce i think is underrated game. Its rpg and strategy game at one.
2021-03-13 19:52
2021-03-13 19:53
I'd watch a couple videos on the games first before getting them to get a good feel for what the games are. And if you're going to play CK3 then get the Xbox Game Pass for PC because it's $1 for the first month and CK3 is on the game pass.
2021-03-13 19:53
1 reply
+1
2021-03-13 21:27
 | 
Poland aiken
If you like Blitz Chess then I definitely recommend Starcraft 2. It is very demanding and the skill ceiling is really high, far far higher than CS. It's not for everyone though as you will have to make a lot of good decisions in very quick manner and mechanics of unit control is also a challenge if you aspiring to reach Platinum or above.
2021-03-13 20:02
3 replies
I have a friend who plays Starcraft 2 on somewhat competitive level and let's say he is little bit mentally challenged so I would rather stay away from it :D
2021-03-13 20:05
2 replies
 | 
Poland aiken
Yea, I can relate. I used to get in touch with some SC community in Poland, also checking out Netwars forum (something like polish hltv for SC scene). These people are very specific, but it's more like it's 1v1 game for individuals so you may be socially awkward or sociopath and still be good at the game. I think it's not that the game changes you to this it's rather that people like this tend to be good and interested in such games. btw. one cool story from the past. There were 2 guys arguing on the Netwars forum for some time. The conflict was so tense that they set up to fist fight at next possible occasion. It turned out to happen on first IEM at Katowice and I was there to witness it along with like 30-40 guys from SC community in front of Spodek. The fight didn't last long as Police intervened and both guys were fined for some cash penalty :D. The funniest part was that after this guys were totally okay with each other hugging themselves and drinking hard all night at motel with lots of other folks. This was definitely one of most memorable aspects of IEM for me :).
2021-03-13 21:04
1 reply
Hahaha hilarious, bunch of idiots
2021-03-13 21:11
does Anno 1800 count? anyway i recommend it
2021-03-13 20:03
 | 
Canada roylin
bloons TD battle
2021-03-13 20:04
solitaire
2021-03-13 20:14
Stellaris
2021-03-13 20:17
VALORANT
2021-03-13 20:18
 | 
Czech Republic Korenus
Hoi4 by far best one i played. Then Stellaris is good, Civ 6, CK3, Warcraft III, Age of Empires games in general, EU4, Total War games in general thats pretty much what i can come up with and it should give you enough fun. BTW you just missed Hoi4 sale on steam but Paradox makes sales pretty often so if you wait like month it can be again for just 9,99€ or just buy it on G2A for like 5€ im not you mom lol :D
2021-03-13 20:21
I don't know why tf no one mentioned this yet but Age of Empires.. Start with Age of Empires 3 since it's easiest to get used to and in general a bit easier game... Another good game is American Cconquest but this one is a bit complicated at the very least...
2021-03-13 20:24
1 reply
 | 
Czech Republic Korenus
#30 Right above your comment man :D
2021-03-13 20:26
 | 
Reunion Esquinox
civ5 > civ6
2021-03-13 21:17
1 reply
i think civ6 is more fun with district management but civ5 is also nice. civ5 is definitely more streamlined so easier to play without thinking about too much probably.
2021-03-13 21:28
civ 5/6
2021-03-13 21:20
 | 
Poland FitPolak
Star Wars Empire at War is underrated strategy B)
2021-03-13 21:33
1 reply
+1
2021-03-13 22:21
civ 5 is way better for you because of how much simpler it is
2021-03-13 21:57
Most people seem to just be saying their favorite game, but I'll try to add some useful information as well. I have played most of the major strategy games of the last ten years or so, and have this to say: As a new player, you'll first want to figure out what you're in the mood for first, and go from there. The majority of strategy games are either real-time strategy, real-time grand strategy, turn-based strategy, turn-based tactical, or some combination of these. For RTS, most people think of sweaty tryhard games like Starcraft or older games like Command and Conquer. For a new player, the definitive RTS game where you can try out and see if you like it is unquestionably Age of Empires II Definitive Edition (or HD edition if you want to buy it for cheaper). It has the most intuitive gameplay and interface experience, and is also one of the basic building blocks of RTS gaming. Unlike what others have said, AOE2 is definitely the one to start with as it is the most similar to the average RTS game, while also being plenty new player friendly. For real-time grand strategy, Paradox is the absolute daddy dev/publisher, and Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, and many others are all made by them, and thus have many similarities in gameplay. CK2 (and its hundreds of dollars of DLC) is the biggest game and a fan favorite, but is one of the most dense and intimidating games out there, so I highly discourage it. CK3 is 98% of the game of CK2 but with a much better UI and tutorial system, as well as a ton of quality of life improvements over the former, so if you're feeling medieval kings and court politics, I'd recommend that. However, for whatever time period you're feeling, there will be a game to satisfy you. For medieval stuff, CK3 is best - for colonization and exploration, EU4 is okay but a bit dense, and Anno 1800 is quite good. For modern stuff, there is Cities Skylines if you want a peaceful game and HOI4 if you want some war, and for future/space exploration Stellaris is probably the best game for new players, though there are others that are preferred by sweaty strategy dweebs. HOI4 is a bit unique in that it focuses much less on government, politics, and management and a lot more on combat, where the gameplay is primarily moving your divisions around and fighting wars yourself. It's fun, but different from many others I've mentioned. If you're totally neutral on the setting, I definitely recommend CK3 if you want a more roleplay experience, and HOI4 if you want a more battle/tactical experience.
2021-03-13 22:21
3 replies
For turn-based strategy, the two king franchises are Total War and Civilization. Similar to Crusader Kings vs Hearts of Iron, Civilization is much more about politics and trade and roleplaying a civilization/leader, whereas Total War is mostly about the war. Both are equally simple to get into, and which one you chose largely comes down to personal preference/what you're in the mood for. Civ 6 is a good game, but was a bit divisive in making the art style more cartoony and making the gameplay more game-y and less simulation-y, which is why you will see people recommending both in your replies. If Civ is something you're interested in, I recommend just watching a video or two on 5 vs 6, and seeing which one you feel like more. Unlike what others have said, while 6 introduces some new mechanics, there isn't a huge gap in how hard they are to get into. Total War, on the other hand, has a lot more games to choose from and they differ greatly in setting, though the gameplay stays pretty much the same. The unique thing about the series is that it is both turn-based and real-time in that there is a turn-based grand campaign map, where you build stuff and do politics and move your armies around, as well as battle maps where you get to fight the battles you get into yourself like an RTS. IMO, this makes it the best series to get into first, as it gives you a taste of each and you can get a feeling for what you like and dislike without having to play multiple games. In terms of which Total War to get, they are mostly pretty good. As a general rule, the newer historical games have been unpopular for either changing too little or too much from the formula, but that is less likely to annoy a newcomer to the franchise. If you want to play it safe, Shogun 2 and Rome 2 are both good choices as a new player for ancient/medieval times, Napoleon is far better gameplay-wise (more balanced and less buggy) than Empire if you want an line battle/muskets kind of game. If you're up for whatever, then the best games are definitely the Warhammer ones, as they opened up a ton of new gameplay options with monsters and magic, as well as having a really good setting. I recommend 1 over 2 to start, as the campaigns and factions mechanics that are easier to get into, but either will be good fun if you like the idea of commanding hundreds or thousands of monsters and demons fighting guys with swords. Finally, for turn-based tactics games, the base standard is the XCOM series. You'll have probably seen videos of games that have that style of commanding a small squad or something across a turn-based grid map. This is the genre on which I am least knowledgeable, primarily because it is my least favorite. If this style of game speaks to you though, know that XCOM 2 is the standard for these games even more so than AOE is for RTS games, so I have to recommend that. However, there is less gameplay variance in these games than other genres, so any game you pick up in this style will feel pretty similar.
2021-03-13 22:41
2 replies
TL;DR If you want to command a few individual soldiers and units in real time while building up a base (like Starcraft, but not as sweaty and horrible), play Age of Empires 2. Play the Definitive Edition for better graphics and a modernized interface, or HD for good enough graphics and cheaper. If you want to do that, but simpler and with a fun campaign/story mode, play Command and Conquer: Remastered. --------------------------------- If you want to roleplay as a medieval noble in real time who must play in politics while also commanding an army and a country to a lesser degree, play Crusader Kings 3. If you want to play as a country and its military power in real time without any of that character and roleplay BS interrupting the mass slaughter of your enemies, play HOI4. If you want something between those two, where you have moderate depth in both the military and political sides of things, play Anno 1800 or Stellaris, depending on your preference of setting. ------------------------------- If you want to control the growth of a civilization over many turns from prehistory to the space age as an immortal leader with more game-y graphics and mechanics and the choice to win games through diplomacy and science, not just conquest, play Civilization 5 or 6. If you want to really just conquer the world as an already existing empire during a specific time period and get to actually control your units in battle (or not, you can always auto-resolve battles if you don't want to play the RTS side of the game), then play Total War. Specifically: If you want the simplest and most well-balanced game that is easiest for a new player to understand, play Shogun 2. If you want a massive sprawling map with lots to conquer and tons of civilizations to conquer in a historical setting, play Rome 2. If you want line battles and muskets and cannons and such, and you like those tactics better than bows and spears, play Napoleon. If you want monsters and magic and fantasy, or just the most full and modern Total War game with the best gameplay, play Warhammer 1 (or 2 if you really want). --------------------------------- If you like the idea of commanding a few units on a smaller, single battlefield, without having to build buildings and stuff, and you want it turn-based, play XCOM 2. -------------------------------- Most importantly, have fun! Don't get discouraged by other people's hyper-efficient and often condescending attitude towards casual players, they're just sweatlords. For a final recommendation, as others have said, the XBox Game Pass is awesome value for trying out games, especially strategy games. It comes with lots of the games I recommended like Age of Empires 2 as well as almost all Paradox games, like Crusader Kings 3, Hearts of Iron 4, Europa Universalis, Stellaris, and Cities Skylines. It also has lots of other great, deeper strategy games like Endless Space 2, Astrologaster, Company of Heroes, Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Wasteland, Battlefleet Gothic 2, and Desperados 3. All of these are certainly worth a try, and a few bucks a month isn't a bad deal if you play them regularly. It also has other non-violent RTS management sims like Prison Architect and Frostpunk, both of which are fantastic and I highly recommend.
2021-03-13 23:08
1 reply
A couple of my additional favorites that aren't strictly strategy or newbie friendly, but are still awesome: Rimworld is like Minecraft the strategy game, it's about building and surviving on a hostile alien world while managing your group of colonists, and is excellent fun. Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and its standalone DLC are basically like Starcraft minus the sweaty competitive side. Starcraft was originally supposed to be a Warhammer 40k game and its factions are based on 40k. If you like Starcraft's cool aliens or slaughtering them in the name of the God-Emperor, then these are great games to try. Mount and Blade: Warband/Bannerlord are first/third person roleplay adventure games with all that comes with that, except for the fact that you play as a leader of a war party and can go conquer castles and cities and lead armies, but while also getting to fight in those battles yourself as your character. Warband is one of the best-rated games on Steam and is my pick for best game of all time, and Bannerlord is its sequel, which is currently in Early Access, and is just as good if not better, even in its pre-release state. Highly recommend this. Factorio is crack and will ruin your life. The premise is simple: you crash on a planet; you need to get off. Build a the perfect factory and do it. Don't recommend unless you have lots of ritalin to spare.
2021-03-13 23:20
 | 
Peru devbot
I tried to play civilization, but it's not my kind of game I did not understand well and got bored. But something more accessible to the general public, Age of Empires2, Starcraft 2, XCOM 1 or 2 and these games are very good and I recommend these if u want any strategies games.
rise of nations is best !!!
2021-03-13 22:59
VaLULrant
2021-03-13 23:02
EU4 Crusader kings 3 Total war series till Attila Starcraft II Civ 6 Anno 1404 Age of Empires Cossacks 3
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.