Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Accounting vs Computer Science
 | 
Japan ShinjiIkari 
Which major is better to get taking into account stress, work balance, and job security/salary
2021-06-10 22:09
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
 | 
Reunion Esquinox
CS
2021-06-10 22:10
valorant
2nd 4sure
pro player
 | 
Romania Lil_fps
Obviously computer science, why are you even asking the question Bait?
2021-06-10 22:11
JW | 
Switzerland Titan))
if I were you I'd just go pro in Overwatchcg
2021-06-10 22:11
best job ever: I'm a swimming pool owner in the Seychelles. 350K usd/year and literally 0 work
2021-06-10 22:12
10 replies
donate me plz im e-girl !!!
2021-06-11 03:04
7 replies
nt
2021-06-11 06:39
6 replies
youtu.be/GvsYMU7CVqc plz donate to my stream I need to buy new shirts
2021-06-11 06:41
5 replies
who tf is that
2021-06-11 06:41
4 replies
Me
2021-06-11 06:45
3 replies
no it ain't
2021-06-11 06:53
2 replies
except it is bruh now donate you simp
2021-06-11 06:55
1 reply
Amelia would never pressure people to donate
2021-06-11 07:33
fakeflag?
2021-06-11 08:14
1 reply
no
2021-06-11 21:23
Accounting is good if you like working 60 hours a week and being bored to death)))
2021-06-10 22:15
This isn’t an easily answerable question. Computer science is such a broad field, there are so many things you can do. You can be a web developer and not even need to go to college and get a job that pays ok (relatively). You can become a security researcher and try to prevent hacks or hack things yourself. I have a friend who programs huge robots that work in factories. If you are really smart and like math you can work for a finance company and make $200k/yr base salary out of college. There’s so many options. I work in deep learning and it’s enjoyable, pays well + job is pretty flexible and chill. My advice to you is to try as many things as you can whether that’s by getting internships or part time jobs or doing research at your school if you go to college. Actually trying something is a lot more reliable way of knowing if you’d like it then asking mens)), 80% of whom are still kids.
2021-06-10 23:09
14 replies
 | 
Pakistan LoOuU2
deep learning huh ? how did you get into it specially and what tools and languages do you actually work with in it ? whats degree or program did you actually went into initially and why`d you decide this ?
2021-06-10 23:13
11 replies
Not OP, but it's a semi-long path. You must have a strong Mathematical background, like an A-A* in Cambridge A-level in Maths (they do that in Pakistan, I'm pretty sure) or something equivalent. Understand docker, Kubernetes, AWS, fastapi etc. (not all of them, ofc), this helps to deploy the code, manage cloud services and API services. You must be experienced with Python, and will be exposed to package/software like, pandas, NumPy, TensorFlow, AutoKeras. Overall it's a longish path, but if you have strong mathematical and python skills, then it should be fine. You can find most of the stuff online, I used subscription.packtpub.com/. Because you only have to pay $10 a month and get 1000s of courses. It's not like Udemy, where you have to pay like $25 PER COURSE. Actually, most Udemy instructors upload their courses on packt, to make extra money, but no one know that they are there, for free if you get the $10 subscription. Here are some random courses i pulled (you can't watch them, it's just a preview): subscription.packtpub.com/video/data/978.. subscription.packtpub.com/video/data/978.. subscription.packtpub.com/video/big_data.. subscription.packtpub.com/video/data/978.. gl my pk Brother
2021-06-11 02:01
9 replies
Forgot to link the Stanford Course: this one is good, coursera.org/learn/machine-learning
2021-06-11 03:04
6 replies
I took the “normal version” of that class (cs229) at Stanford and liked it a lot. I have to say it was probably the hardest class i have ever taken, but I learned a lot of things that I didn’t really understand from my undergrad machine learning courses.
2021-06-11 03:29
2 replies
 | 
China SwooksarV2
You're a Stanford Alumni? I'm really impressed
2021-06-11 08:01
1 reply
Not yet - my goal is to finish a certificate program there and then decide if I want to do a full degree program, but working full time and taking classes is very hard so I’m taking a break.
2021-06-11 08:23
 | 
Pakistan LoOuU2
ah thanks for some deep insight. Well i am not that good at maths neither understood of docker, Kubernetes, AWS, fastapi etc but i had Python as my language this semester and worked extensively with both pandas and numpy library as well as some ML algorithms and got a pretty hang of it so i was just curious to know about it more from someone part of the field. I will check out those courses and might actually already be enrolled in that Coursera course too. TY Mr.lord_rehman
2021-06-11 12:16
2 replies
Maths is easy bro, u just gotta get the fundamentals etched into your mind, and have fun with it. Docker, Kubernetes, AWS took me a long time to get used to but if you watch some courses online, then it is pretty easy. Anyways, you don't need to remember all the commands, just have a cheat sheet besides you.
2021-06-11 13:24
1 reply
 | 
Pakistan LoOuU2
alright mens , i will give it a try in my semester break. TY
2021-06-11 14:28
Damn, looks like i should check deep learning out since i have used nearly all that stuff for projects before. Thanks.
2021-06-11 07:54
1 reply
Deep learning is getting more and more accessible every year. The “fundamentals” as in the background math is always going to take a long time to get in to but the tools get better and better every year. Plus there’s an abundance of resources online that people make on the topic to help you, like what the other guy linked.
2021-06-11 08:37
#14 has good advice for online resources. I got most of my exposure to the field through college though. It’s a long path and you have to keep learning even after college because the field is changing fast and there’s also just so much to learn. I did a double major in computer science and data science at undergrad. I don’t really think doing the double major made much of a difference I just had enough credits that overlapped and it worked out. I started out as just computer science but didn’t really know what I wanted to do. I ended up taking some computer architecture and ai / machine learning courses in my first couple years of college and then ended up landing an internship in the field that led into my current job which happened to be a really good fit bc it was in the intersection of the two areas. Machine learning was a very popular area of study in my college so there were many classes that were taught to prep students for that field. I studied a lot of math (linear algebra and optimization), probability and statistics. If you don’t know the basics in these areas you will have a hard time understanding the math in machine learning. I got my ass kicked by the first ML course I took because I wasn’t ready math wise, but it helped me realize what I didn’t know and I was able to practice those areas before my next class. I imagine rhat any online course will be less math heavy than a college class though, so if you just want to start out with that you dont need to know as much math. As for tools / other skills, you need to have a general knowledge of programming. I agree with #14 on almost everything. I use many of those tools on a daily basis. If you are starting out learning programming, start with python. Not only is it a good beginner language it’s what most people that I know in the field use. The thing about learning tools / languages is that you don’t know what your potential future job is going to ask you to use, so you need to be prepared to learn new tools. I should note that I’m not a deep learning researcher in the sense that I don’t design new neural network architectures or anything. I’m not nearly qualified enough for that. If I decide I want to do that I think I would need to strongly consider going back to school for an MS or a PhD, but I don’t think I could make it though a PhD program.
2021-06-11 03:54
Thanks for the advice! I agree doing things is much better than reading hltv and reddit as it only makes my brain hurt.
2021-06-10 23:18
1 reply
There’s a lot of smart people on those sites who can give legitimately good information, but many people just regurgitate things they read as if they know them from experience, which results in 50% of the information not really being worthwhile. This is especially true when you try to talk about getting in to college or getting a job. You can learn lots of stuff from these people but not everything they say is necessarily how it is in reality. If you go to college hopefully your school will put on lots of events where people from various fields come to talk about what they do. Furthermore the professors are all people with experience in the area (of course). I wish I had talked more to these people and went to more of these events when I was in college. If internships / coops are a thing in your country do that too if you can. I thought I knew what being an engineer was like until I actually did an internship for a summer and realized it was a lot different than what i thought.
2021-06-11 03:58
I am an accountant, I didnt study it at uni (I took econ). Accounting is not difficult due to the complexity of the subject material, but due to the volume of work. Working in industry is very chill, and well paid if you reach management positions. It depends on the company but many will only work you 9-5/6 at most. For the best career progression you want to start in audit, ideally at big 4. Work there is gruelling, during busy season you can hit 80 hours per week for about a month of the year. But the experience is second to none in the accounting world. Most people do it for a few years and then dip for a higher paying job in industry. Job security is also very good, in the UK if youre an ACA qualified account which takes 3 years you will never earn less than £45k per year. You could leave a job and have one within a month, there is always a need for accountants. Managers can earn £60-80k, Ive seen a senior manager who was early 30s on about £120k base + bonus. There's potential to earn serious money.
2021-06-11 01:32
4 replies
economics at university is a scam
2021-06-11 02:08
Big 4 isn't worth it. Way better to take a pay cut and work at a smaller firm.
2021-06-11 03:00
2 replies
 | 
China SwooksarV2
I think the experience and connections you get at Big 4 is really valuable. Big 4 for your early career and then you join a smaller firm later on, or even create your own. (For all fields. Not just accounting)
2021-06-11 08:02
I disagree there. Big 4 experience is the gold standard for accountants. Also smaller public accounting firms work you just as hard but you get less prestige from working there. Smaller firms also pay more initially but the progression is lower, I was offered graduate job at BDO and the pay was £5k more per year than my big 4 offer.
2021-06-11 13:08
Both very boring stay an hltv user for life instead
2021-06-11 01:34
 | 
Europe Pflatzi
computer science, found ur own company and make a living from being a DJ
2021-06-11 02:10
 | 
Russia VelsVivard
I'm looking to become an accountant, on top of my present job. A bit more money made.
2021-06-11 02:38
CS (counter strike)
2021-06-11 02:39
 | 
Brazil 2mig
My mother is a accountant and she always says “Miguel pls dont do this, its too stressful” she almost always arrives home with a headache of some shit like that, but it pays for her very many reais a month so… yeah
2021-06-11 02:46
why asking a serious question on hltv LUL
2021-06-11 03:01
Accounting is easier but more dull. Cs is harder but more interesting. Both may cause stress for different reasons.
2021-06-11 03:17
just become a millionaire like me, and never have to work 9-5
2021-06-11 03:21
1 reply
+1 wtf
2021-06-11 08:48
Why are you asking this, you should be determining which of the two is more enjoyable for yourself, so you don't throw yourself into a pit of boredom wondering about what it could be, if you had just chose the other option.
2021-06-11 03:26
 | 
Estonia mr_abdul
DJ
2021-06-11 06:57
1 reply
 | 
Serbia aco505
$32k/month
2021-06-11 07:48
They will both pay you enough to live comfortably on reasonable hours regardless of where you live, it really comes down to which one you enjoy most (but I can't see why anyone would enjoy accounting tbh).
2021-06-11 06:58
 | 
China SwooksarV2
CS majors will eventually replace accountants. Both jobs are stressful in their own ways. CS are stressful in the sense that there are tight deadlines and work is difficult. A normal traditional account (auditing and such. Not risk management) is a really stale job, and hours and long during crunch seasons with the big 4 firms. However, when it's not in the busy seasons, accounting can be a lot easier and stress-free, however, busy periods will result in you experience investment banking levels of work. (120hours+). Work balance is dependant on where you work as both are time consuming jobs. Salary wise, CS is much higher. With the lowest you can get being in the 80k range (USD) capping out at around 350k after promotion to a senior management at any decently sized firms. Starting salary for accountants are a lot lower, with big 4 salaries starting at 50-60k and really only rising up to 120-140k normally. However, people usually learn finance along side accounting. Which allows you to diversify. The ultimate goal of a someone studying finance should be becoming a CFO, which would mean salaries in the 500k. (You can also be a Quant with math and Cs for machine learning. They make maddddd money) job security, traditional finance related jobs will eventually be replaced by Cs (programs). But for CS, you have to constantly learn and improve yourself as CS is evolving at a rapid rate. CS also usually has an age limit. Once you hit your late 30's, if you're unable to get promoted, you'll be one of the first people that the company will lay off. most people usually work at a large techompaby into their 30's, and then leaving and start their own company. But they would have made enough money to invest in later life. However, this shouldn't be an issue in the near future. But it is something you should consider. As an accountant, prepared to be an accountant for life. And accounting isn't suitable for many people. Requires a lot of patience and dedication honestly. Have you ever considered consulting as an option? account stress, work balance, and job security/salary. At the current time I would definitely say CS is the best major to get into. Edit: added more details. I applied to both CS and accounting a few years back. Chose business in the end though. Business is more useful to my family. (Just some context) so I know the basics of their potential
2021-06-11 07:57
I think you can't really say that based on the field. I've worked with accounting for five years earlier in my life, and it really comes down to what kind of business you're working at. Right now I work in the electronic payment business (the company makes a shit ton of money), and when we're too busy we either hire more people or if temporary, hire consultants to do monkey work. In smaller companies or companies that don't earn as much money, they would expect you to put in the hours, and some companies will not pay you for overtime. If I work overtime now, I get added 1.5 x my hourly wage to my "time bank balance", which I can either get paid or spend as time off. But I've also earlier in my career worked in companies that paid me half of what I make now, and with no benefits, where they would expect me to work 50 hrs a week. So It all really comes down to what your personal preferences and interests are.
2021-06-11 08:32
What ever your interested in both are good paid when committed high lvl in accounting you can fake your computer knowledge to dodge some extra work
2021-06-11 08:46
electrical engineering
2021-06-11 08:48
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.