Thread has been deleted
Last comment
Diversity of Thought
United States Yale 
Do people value diversity in opinion anymore? Wasn’t that meant to be the value of democracy? Why don’t people care about opinions if they aren’t identical to their own...
2021-06-13 01:58
Topics are hidden when running Sport mode.
i car
2021-06-13 01:59
1 reply
+1
2021-06-13 02:33
american politics has fucked any type of discourse. idk how EU has evolved, but at least here is Egypt you are free to speak about whatever other than 1 single thing.
2021-06-13 02:01
2 replies
Isn't torture legal in Egypt?
2021-06-13 04:08
 | 
France Ocelot31
it's not as bad in europe, only the extreme are like that. but we are probably heading the same way
2021-06-14 02:08
democracy is trash. we need to have only 1 person with a opinion. we need a dictator
2 replies
Ok Afghanistan
2021-06-13 03:57
Schitt opinion
2021-06-13 04:05
yeah, a lot of people dont value the opinion of others anymore, but to be fair, a government cant work without an opposition or it would just be a dictatorship.
11 replies
But can a dictatorship not work in comparison?
2021-06-13 02:03
10 replies
it can work aslong as all of your peoples opinions are the same, but right now theres just so much differences in opinions that a dictatorship would just start wars... People have been getting worse & worse at debating things and valueing peoples opinions that differ from yours, it gives a complete other perspective on something that you yourself might not even have thought of.
2021-06-13 02:08
5 replies
A country like China for example is prospering while the West is infighting about their gender identity.
2021-06-13 02:17
4 replies
A country like china forces people to do this, they dont all think the same, its against their will. And yes, the west thing is true, but that has nothing to do with valueing eachothers opinions, its more about entitlement and attention.
2021-06-13 03:32
3 replies
Indoctrination from birth solely instills support for the regime, for people are not constantly battling with their ideals thus it is not against their will if they’ve experienced no ideaological alternatives. Entitlement in beliefs is inevitable with free will because individuals will seemingly always fight over differences, a country like China just prevents that fighting
2021-06-13 03:47
2 replies
a country like china actually keeps you more encaged than the west does, free will is both a positive and negative but I think enslavement, brainwashing, censoring and punishment for thoughts is a worse negative than crying over what pronoun youre called, sure it makes you weaker but thats freedom and how each person takes freedom in, is up to them and people are just stupid so yeah XD
2021-06-13 14:12
1 reply
Chinese resistance is minimal because indoctrination begins at birth. Furthermore, most individuals are content with conformity if to better develop their society. In comparison, freedom of thought has led individuals to significant conflicts that prevent society from efficiently progressing.
2021-06-14 02:01
if the leader has the best interests of the people, and his goal is to make the country a better place ofc it can work. but power corrupts and its rare to see long term dictatorships succeed (similarly to a single idea while ignoring the rest where at some point the idea either fails or must adapt to its counter. or at least thats what I think at 2am maybe I am stupid)
2021-06-13 02:10
3 replies
From what I’m witnessing in the modern era individuals will always be disatisfied with their government regardless of if it is democratic or authoritarian. The difference is that while an authoritarian country can limit dangerous ideals for the sake of prosperity, Western countries seem to stagnate when facing conflicts of interest
2021-06-13 02:21
2 replies
well also most wstern governments are run by coorporations (US) and many other are run by old people who arent up with the ideas the youth think and want. like the EU has good intentions with privacy and all that but it took way too long and they are slow af. more young people in power will help with this imo. but the issue is finding the right people
2021-06-13 02:22
1 reply
I used to think that cooperations thriving in a country was beneficial to growth because they offer job opportunities and investment potential for the middle class, but in reality there are so many adverse loopholes that enable cooperations to thrive at the middle class’ expense. For instance, many large cooperations take out loans with their companies as coolateral (because no bank in the world will decline a collateral like Tesla for example). With low interest rates and by recirculating the funds to other people requesting loans the dollar inflates and cooperations can avoid paying a significant amount (or all) income taxes. Tax agencies won’t hunt them down because they have the best lawyers, and government won’t stop them because a democracy needs businesses (social freedom requires economic freedom according to Milton Friedman), so only the middle class suffer in many instances of business prosperity. Although anyone can become a large business owner with enough time and investment, so many risks and sacrifices are required that it disables the possibility for someone in the middle class that needs money to even survive
2021-06-13 02:30
diversity of thought only matters when people act in good faith. otherwise, it's a waste of time to talk to what are essentially hltv baiters in real life
2021-06-13 02:09
3 replies
It is unfair to apply your opinion of “good faith” against someone else’s definition. I’m guessing “good faith” is just what feels good to you, but that shouldn’t invalidate someone else’s opinion
2021-06-13 02:15
2 replies
it's more unfair to force anyone to debate a person that won't seriously engage with the arguments. good faith has a concrete definition - if you enter into a debate with good faith, you sincerely intent to be able to change your opinion at the end of it. debates with people that aren't acting in good faith are actively harmful and waste energy. listening to people acting in bad faith jam democratic deliberation, and prevent democracies from functioning properly
2021-06-13 02:28
1 reply
I disagree that debates are meant to change adamant opinions. No matter how well honed and refined an argument is words will only impact experiences and observations so far. In reality, nobody with strong ideals can or should change their opinions based on words alone; thus, you could create an amazing argument academically that receives rewards at debate tournaments but fail to convince someone to think about even multiple perspectives. Furthermore, argument only impacts individuals with neutral or weak opinions, but I wouldn’t say that good faith has any relevance on the matter. Additionally, argument should be valuable to individuals with adamant opinions because it enables them to understand multiple perspectives, thus improving their own comprehension of a situation. I do not believe that this methodology is a product of faith, but of self truths, differences in ideals, and a weakness of free will. In a country without free will, individuals will focus less on those differences in opinion which are inevitably frustrating to encounter (for most) and more on technological and scientific advancements, with examples like post-Deng Xiaoping China in mind
2021-06-13 02:41
 | 
Portugal Surya
People are manipulated into following narratives and want other who dont to get shut down
2021-06-13 02:09
 | 
United Kingdom Jonty04l32
We should always respect the difference of opinions, especially on a functioning forum. :) It's a shame sometimes that is not valued but it depends upon the user.
2021-06-13 02:17
2 replies
Although this thread topic can apply to HLTV (though hltv isn’t a democracy xd) I was primarily referring it to real life interactions
2021-06-13 02:18
1 reply
 | 
United Kingdom Jonty04l32
Ah, my apologies. ^^ It's different in offline than it is online. On a forum like HLTV, we have to conform to a ruleset set by the very owners of the website we opt to browse but offline amidst actual people, there is no looming ruleset or guideline to follow, so people generally act as they please and this can either be a good thing or a bad thing... Personally, I am exactly the same offline and online. :D The only difference is profanities and expletives I used in my every day vocabulary to exaggerate or accentuate a sentence. I wouldn't ever curse or swear at somebody, it is mostly used in jest within a conversation. :) Everybody is different in the world, everybody is unique, therefore all social interaction with strangers is also unique and yes, there is a moral code to follow which is always be respectful and kind to others but generally this is mostly ignored by those who wish to follow along their own ruleset of guidelines, no matter who likes it or not.
2021-06-13 03:00
no, now anything thats not alligned with mainstream agenda is deemed as misinformation and hate speech like even scientists cant question mainstream spread by media science rn without thousands of incompetent twitter users pulling up on them for that
2021-06-13 02:20
1 reply
 | 
Portugal Surya
+1 Even doctors MD cant debate on Twitter Facebook, hell even Nobel prize winners get shut down
2021-06-13 02:25
 | 
Turkey dereN24
Yeah, literally some people are getting bashed because they do not use pronouns in their names online.
2021-06-13 02:26
4 replies
wtf i refuse to believe that
2021-06-13 02:28
3 replies
That’s why everyone includes the he/him on their profiles now XD
2021-06-13 02:31
 | 
Turkey dereN24
Every day I change my pronouns and with the right to do so, I get bashed.
2021-06-13 02:31
1 reply
 | 
Turkey dereN24
Now I am invisible because I can bash everybody for not getting my pronouns correctly
2021-06-13 02:33
Our own opinions are always correct, why should we listen to people with incorrect opinions?
2021-06-13 02:55
Most humans are easily swayed by emotion which has led to people malding over opinions. Only the ELITE among us (on purpose) can put all emotion aside and use logic only.
2021-06-13 03:40
HOOMANS pP BRAINS wat DoInK
2021-06-13 03:41
Of course they don't care Why the fuck does this question need asking People have Stockholm syndrome from the padded cell they've been forced into and it's killed their soul It's essentially created a society full of spoilt children. People can't face uncomfortable truths. People can't face... discomfort. Or anything that shatters their deluded image of their padded cell. So they block it out completely.
2021-06-13 04:27
People care if the other party actually has interest in a debate or even a discussion, but mostly it's just people who throw shit out and leave and then wont back anything up and just name call. It's rare you can express an opinion (especially about politics or covid) even lightly without multiple people raging at you instead of trying to have a conversation.
2021-06-13 04:31
cry is free
2021-06-13 14:14
I dont think so, slowly but surely, we are starting to care less about what's true and real in favour of whatever is left.
2021-06-13 14:15
bc of polarization
2021-06-14 02:04
Login or register to add your comment to the discussion.