CS:GO update adds fade to black
A new CS:GO update has shipped, build version 126.96.36.199, and its major bullet point is an introduction of a long requested game mechanic, deathcam blur and fade to black.
A new CS:GO update arrived late in the night and any update can be considered a ground-breaking update as far as CS:GO is concerned when there are noticeable changes in the "Gameplay" section.
Today's change features three very important changes to gameplay: a reduction of Spectator Freeze Time (the amount of time an observer camera is frozen) from five to three seconds, an introduction of a fade and blur to deathcam upon dying, and a more aggressive fade on the deathcam when killed with a headshot.
The request for a fade to black had been a longstanding one from fans of earlier iterations of Counter-Strike and the aggressive fade upon getting headshotted will add an interesting competitive tweak to the mechanic.
In addition, hardcore traders and Series 1 pin fans will be in for a bit of a shock as the Pin Series capsule can now be purchased in game, and a further blog post specified that Series 2 pins will debut at ESL One Cologne 2016.
The full changelog for the update can be found below:
- Added the CS:GO Collectible Pins Series 1 capsule offer that can be purchased in-game.
- As of June 1st, Series 1 Genuine Collectible Pins will be available at WeLoveFine.com
- Default spec_freeze_time reduced from 5.0 to 3.0.
- Added fade and blur to deathcam (when mp_forcecamera 1).
- Fade and blur in deathcam are more aggressive when killed with a headshot (when mp_forcecamera 1).
- Improved spectating cameras for de_cache.
- Improved spectating cameras for de_nuke.
- Added convars cl_spec_use_tournament_content_standards and sv_spec_use_tournament_content_standards that allow the client and/or server to prefer official pro player names when available and omit weapon tags for spectators.
- The ‘swap item’ crosshair hint will display the weapon’s original name even if the weapon has been renamed with a name tag.
- Introducing Authentication Codes that allow users to grant to third-party websites and applications access to their Pick’Em and Fantasy games during CS:GO Major Championships.
- Documentation for websites and application developers is available: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_PickEm_Fantasy_Management
- Authentication Codes management for users is available: https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=730&issueid=128
stich writes for HLTV.org and can be found on Twitter