Matthew "Sadokist" Trivett has announced that he will not be commentating on this week's Pro League matches following his controversial livestream on Friday evening.
In a Facebook post, the Canadian caster, who is part of Pro League's European broadcast team, stressed that this was his own decision and added that his tournament involvement beyond this week and his long-term future remain "undecided."
The post follows a controversial Twitch stream in which Matthew "Sadokist" Trivett used a racist term and also told a community member to kill himself. Sadokist, who was commemorating his 29th birthday and was allegedly under the influence, has since seen his channel suspended by Twitch.
"There are no excuses for what I said," Sadokist wrote. "Racism of any variety is absolutely despicable, and unacceptable.
"No person is void of judgement for their own actions, and that applies to me as well. While I appreciate people trying to play down the situation, there are no grounds to do so.
"It is disgusting that a human should receive anything less than equal treatment due to their skin colour at birth. Anyone who knows me personally would attest that I don’t stand for it. I have called out others in our community for less, and hold myself to the same accountability... I would expect that of anyone in this situation.
"In regards to further comments made toward a specific individual later in the stream, I very wrongfully made my personal grievances with them a public issue in a manner that is intolerable and simply unacceptable.
"I am representation of something bigger than myself, and I failed in my responsibility to uphold that position on this occasion. While I stand by my opinion on the individual I am speaking about, and publicly condemn his “contributions” to the community, I absolutely crossed a line saying that I wished ill-will onto them."
Sadokist also addressed the possibility of tournament organisers not wanting to work with him again by saying that he "understands the notion for further punishment" and that he "will not appeal any decisions" made by those that he has put "in an awkward position."
"So far my employers (of the ones who have contacted me) have bestowed enough trust in me to take the first step in handling the issue on my own accord," noted. "I respect and thank them for allowing me to do so.
"Certainly, there has been no shortage of opinions vocalized on various medias over the last day, and the sentiment of many of those are not lost on me.
"I have made the decision on my own NOT to attend Pro League for the week starting on Tuesday, April 3rd, with time beyond that undecided as I weigh out my options and where I wish to see myself long term.
"It is no secret that I have considered moving on from CS/esports in the past, and last July I came very close to doing so," he noted.
"Three years of non-stop service to the industry has been a massive undertaking, and while it has been extremely rewarding, and I am very fortunate professionally, it has come at a massive cost personally.
"Perhaps (somewhat) ironically, I told many of my colleagues and friends that on my 29th birthday I was going to put in a better effort to focus on my fitness and well-being for the next six months in a bid to pursue other endeavours that would require me to be in a much better shape."
ESL has not yet announced a replacement for the Pro League Europe desk, which features Alex "Machine" Richardson as host, Chad "SPUNJ" Burchill and Janko "YNk" Paunović as analysts, and Henry "HenryG" Greer as caster.
My apology. No excuses: https://t.co/ASVTQm3f3I— Matthew Trivett. (@Sadokist) April 2, 2018